• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Suggestions needed for a cross country race

Arctic RX

Extreme
I need some help addressing any durability or handling issues that may exist. I am entering a long distance cross country race on March 31, I want to make the right adjustments and mods so I can at least finish the race. I plan to make the following mods prior to race day: Pioneer performance 3" stance widening kit, Simmons flexi-ski, Ohlins rear shock, WK GP-1, 136"x15"x1.375" track, usa tracks 136" rail extension, 2" handle bar riser, HH clutching, maybe Fox floater front shocks. I have replaced my control rods with heavy duty ones and I have read all of the posts by lazy bastard about suspension setup. The race is approx. 140 miles through mountains, valley's and over some hard pack sea ice. Average speed last year was more than 80 mph. It will be on TSN and the Outdoor Life Network. Thanks,
Silver 2003 RX-1.

Hey Arctic, who are you? Is that you J.N. Jr? Oh wait, he moved out of town. I know all about that race from Kimmirut to Iqaluit. I hope your built like a tank with a lot of stamina, cause the RX-1 is pretty heavy for the conditions and handling requirement. I hope you do well.

If you do join, then I'd do something about the slider. The front swing arm, or the W-arm will break apart. You should at least reinforce the hell out of it with a welder and a lot of extra metal. Don't worry about the weight, it will be more beneficial as it would be one of things from stopping you from finishing. I hope I had a pic of the places where it broke up, someone will probably post one after this post.

When I think about it more, that particuliar race is probably the only type of racing where the RX-1 would do well. It's great on fuel, which means less stops in between. lets see 140 miles? is that as the crow flies? Maybe three stops at the most, I go 90 miles with one tank at 25 mph and that's pulling a sled. Do you have the warrior?

Let me know what your final set-up is, I am rooting for you now and want to see how you do? So is a lot of people on this site, I am sure.

Eskimo

I think winning a long distance race is mostly about knowing when to go fast, and when to back off and save the sled.

There are some mods that would directly apply from snox. Contact freestyler for some good details. Look him up in the members list from www.totallyamaha.net He's been a busy beaver and not on here lately.

:twisted: fIX the weakest parts of your sled gather all the experience of other people and do the best you can do. remember to breath because thats what gives you your stamina. Good luck hope you do well. Just do it!!! REMEMBER TO BREATH!!!!!! :twisted:

Thanks guys, I agree with you all. I'll have to workout hard, practice my breathing and slowing down a bit on the rough stuff. Last week I was riding that trail and I broke my right transfer rod. I hit 129mph on the sea ice and maintained 10,100-10,500 rpm for at least 3-4 minutes. Eskimo, I have a 121" and I'm ordering 136" rail extensions from tracksUSA (hopefully they don't break). The race is about 320 trail K/M and maybe 270 K/M as the crow flies. Last year's first place was 3Hrs.2Min. I'll keep you posted on my practice run times.

Race site: http://nsc2003.eastlink.ca/

If you do install the GP1 exhaust, don't forget ear plugs. After 140 miles your ears will be RINGING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously, wear ear plugs. Tip of the day.

Back