• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thought on the XTX skid stretched to a 159..performance wise

GotJuice

Expert
I'm considering building the XTX instead of the MTX because of a better tunnel, steering geometry and the better shocks in the rear skid. Someone said having this rear skid stretched wouldn't be good because of coupling creating a trench monster...can someone explain this?
Will it perform well on the mountain in deep snow in your opinions? I'd like to have the shocks revalved for my weight and riding style and stretch the skid to 159"x16" with 2" paddles and extroverts. The other option is going MTX and running a Timbersled skid witht he Yammi rails extended, all opinions appreciated!

Yamaha claims they kept the MTX steering geometry the same because that style geometry works better in the mountains. Take that for what it is. I understand why you would take the XTX with the new tunnel and all. Plus if you plan on replacing the rear suspension, the XTX rear skid will be very easy to get rid of.

someone please help me out here....

I don't have much time left to snow check a sled I could use the help here folks.... good idea or bad and why? (to stretch the XTX skid)

read the initial post

I explain why I wanted to in the initial post, better tunnel, better front geometry and better fron shocks with a bit wider stance

Why not stretch an SE then? Even better shocks.

I was just making a mental picture of an XTX with a stretched rail. Wouldn't the rear axle be like a foot off the ground in comparison to where the rails tip up?

do it buy the xtx and get a set of rails from iceage for 150 bucks then you wont need rail extensiosns . if i was buying new thats what i would be doing

From everything I saw at the show, the only difference between the XTX and MTX skids is the length of the rails. Everything else is identical.

Wasn't there someone who said only a 2" paddle would fit under an XTX? So no larger paddle mountain tracks, if thats true.

I thought there would be a lot of good ideas and input from the Experts on this subject! If you were going to do this project what would you do? Lets give him some good ideas!!! ;)!

I thought lots of people would considetr this option....

I thought the MTX would have the same shocks but after investigation and confirmation they actually have the same quality shocks in both sleds, which is different for 09'. ( a much needed upgrade too) .
So the real difference would be the front end geometry, wider stance, clicker front shocks and a different tunnel. The boards are suppose to have cut outs like snow eliminators and they are turned up not flat all the way back like the Mnt. version. Doy you think the sled will be harder to carve with being wider or will this be a wash considering the design? Also do you think the running boards being turned up and not as long will hender standing back far enough ? Thanks Scooter for the plug.... ;)!

I don't think the running boards will be an issue! (Still going to be tough to beat the Better Boards!!)As far as the ski stance goes the MTX and XTX that I rode were both 46.5" outside to outside of the skis. The MTX skis are 7" wide and the XTX skis are 5" wide, so you might gain a couple inches in width with the mtn skis but I don't know if you will notice it. Just get a set of mtn ski bottoms and switch the rest of the hardware over.
;)!

Also if a person offsets the bushings in the skis a person can narrow it up. I wish I woulda done it when I went to the mountains.

Back