• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

towing with an RS Venture

eric05venture

I just picked up a new 05 venture, my first sled, and I want to pull a dog sled with it. The rear bar dosn't look sturdy enough to handle the job and I don't see any hitches availible. Anybody pulling a sled with a venture is so how are you doing it.

any sled like that should have a little hitch with a little hole in it to hoke up a sleigh of any kind
if ur dog sled, or Cometic (not sure on the spelling), or a wood sled doesn't have the attacthment to hook them together you can find one for sale, wether new or used, no problem (at least in my area) or you can have one made up
don't let the small size fool u, that little hitch will not break unless u hit a 10 foot jump while hauling 50 junks of wood in a sled

I saw a venture towing another sled for a good distance last winter without a hitch. Most sleds (and I include dog sleds ) will tow quite easily after you get them going. The think to keep in mind is not to gun it until you get started.
The problem with not having a hitch is mor in the stopping as you don't want whatever you are towing running into the back of your sled.
Most Yamaha dealers and after market stores that deal in snowmachines have hitches that will fit a Venture. They should also come with instructions on how to set them up.

Your right, the hitch plate does not come with it.. hey, the hitch is optional on most SUV either.

But.... this comes with the face plate to bolt one on and believe me that rear bumper will stay there. It is common to deal these little goodies after you settle with the price with the dealer, then your have him throw in a set of good dual carbide and maybe a hitch if its a Venture. I have the Yamaha one myself and i think its $20.

I pulled a sley with two kids in last year.... barely notice it. I have not towed another sled so far with it and i sure would'nt hesitate.

aventure, sounds like you have an RS Venture TF? Mine is just a regular RS Venture it dosen't have a plate to bolt up to. I would have to use the grab bar on the back.

I have a 1998 Venture and regularly tow a caboose with 2 kids in it.

The dealer installed a hitch and wiring harness for the rear tail light on the caboose.

Ask you dealer or go to the Yamaha website.

So, basically the hitch is extra. Just like on your car or truck.

Does anyone have a picture of an RS Venture with a hitch set up or the factory mounting plate? All my deal sugest is to buy a universal hitch and mount it to the grab bar on the back.

I was worried about the hitch that attaches to the frame as I might be towing my Polaris and A/C buddies alot.
I bought the Yamaha steel frame bumper with the hitch and it works very well.

I am amazed that the US RS Ventures (144") would not come with a flat plate area with 4 weld nuts in that oh-so-familiar Yamaha pattern to bolt the standard hitch to. All previous Ventures, VK's, etc. all use this same hitch acceptor plate.

I towed a great deal with a 144" RS Venture last year and it was an excellent mount. In many cases, it towed far superior to my 96 Polaris Widetrak due to the extreme low-end grunt.

Auskins said:
any sled like that should have a little hitch with a little hole in it to hoke up a sleigh of any kind
if ur dog sled, or Cometic (not sure on the spelling), or a wood sled doesn't have the attacthment to hook them together you can find one for sale, wether new or used, no problem (at least in my area) or you can have one made up
don't let the small size fool u, that little hitch will not break unless u hit a 10 foot jump while hauling 50 junks of wood in a sled

"Cometic" = Gasket Manufacturer
"Komatik" = Tow behind sleigh (Inuktitut origin)

After looking at some different picture on the site I began to notice that some RS Ventures have a two bar bumper on the rear so I did a little more sniffing and found that there are two rear bumpers. Apparently the U.S. version has a single bar while the CA version has a top and bottom bar with a tow hitch mounting point.

Now if I can figure out how to get one I will be set.

I can confirm that all canadian version have the double arm version..

had not realised that the us version don't...

t_valisersventure_537.jpg
(alt+p)

Alain

Back