• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Two-Way Communications...One way to save $

vecRStor

Extreme
I just went to Radio Shack and picked up a pair of Motorola 2-way radios with the "VOX" (voice activated) feature on them. The radios came in a pair for $70.00 + Tax and a pair of VOX head sets for $20.00 ea. I tried them out on the four wheelers today and they operated perfectly. I will be using them up to the U.P. this March.

The ear loop/bud is universal for each ear and fits perfectly under the helmet; I attached the mic to the chin strap. The radio clips to your belt and you do not even realize it is there. This sure does beat the $200.00 - $300.00 price range for the helmet packages.

Oh, I forgot to mention...the radios also have a built in weather band too. For around $120.00 you have a very decent communication system! Just make sure you by the radios with "VOX" or "iVOX" capabilities on them.

Just my 2 cents.

:jump:

Wow great idea. I won't share this with the wife though. She's asked before about getting what I like to call "The Nagagator."

vecRStor said:
I attached the mic to the chin strap.

:jump:

Interesting.
How did you avoid the wind setting off the VOX at high speed? How well does the vox work with the mic hanging off the chin strap?
If you only tried this on the quad I think you may find other issues once you jump on the sled.
Why not give it a try on a good fast sled ride and report back.

These are some very good questions. Being a Ham Radio Operator for over 30 years, I have tested at least 6 different radios and mic setups on sleds over the years. I have found that wind and sled noise will activate the TXR even at very low adjustments unless that mic is buried in the helmet. Outside the helmet, the VOX would have to be set so low that the voice would never activate the TXR.

The best setup I have used was a PTT swtich on the handlebar, with the mic in the helmet. There is also a throat mic that works fairly well, as long as you wear a turtle or something over it. But the wires are a pain, literally.

Then there is ignition noise generated from our HV ignition. That makes so much RF noise, the RXRs appear weak (i.e. you have to have a huge RF signal to overcome the RF noise.) So, the range of your signal is fairly short. A five watt UHF handheld does work very well. But battery time is fairly short and getting the ignition noise off the Sled's power circuit take quite a bit of effort.

Then the wires start to get in the way of all the clothing, etc., etc.

Lots of things to think about. By the time you get it all set up, the pack you are riding with is long gone. Not to mention the added frustration when you forget to disconnect and get off the sled. After trying several setups, I gave up on the radios and now I enjoy riding a lot more. But, to an experimenter this is challenge. So, ... I say give ‘er a whirl. But, just be ready for some setbacks.

Back