• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

vibration,this is weird

pat the rat

Lifetime Member
my new 09 vector with 1600 miles has this vibration when the machine has been riddin for a while,say 30 miles or so,when leaving from home and the sled is cold,it doesnt vibrate at all,but the more miles i put on,then the vibe shows up and i feel it in the handlebars and the footwells,its not a huge vibration but enough to notice it,ive tried changing belt,cleaned the clutches and checked the drive bearings,the only thing i can think of is maybe the snow builds up in the tunnel as i ride wich causes this vibration,anyone experiencing this

do you store it in a heated shop? Just wondering as it may be ice buildup after you put on a few miles, if all the ice was melted off in your shop overnight. My 06 nytro can develop a vibration from ice buildup in certain temps and snow conditions.

I had a track begin to separate where all the idler wheels make contact with the track. There were pin sized holes on the inside of the track in line with the idlers. As the sled was driven, snow was pushed into these holes, forming bumps on the inside of the track. The bumps would now make contact with the wheels causing a vibration. Took a few weeks to figure this one out.
Of course with Yamaha, no warranty!!!

well,i cant complain with yamaha about warranty cuz they've been great with me,i just got a new track on my 09 cuz the transfer rod locking nut came loose and the rod came apart so it damaged the track some

Roger said:
I had a track begin to separate where all the idler wheels make contact with the track. There were pin sized holes on the inside of the track in line with the idlers. As the sled was driven, snow was pushed into these holes, forming bumps on the inside of the track. The bumps would now make contact with the wheels causing a vibration. Took a few weeks to figure this one out.
Of course with Yamaha, no warranty!!!

Same thing happened to my '05 RX1 when sled was new (2500kms)they had the full PLASTIC idler wheels, the inner 2 rear the plastic was to hard and would actually inbed small stone chips and also BLISTERED the track and made the surface rough and vibrated...

pat the rat said:
well,i cant complain with yamaha about warranty cuz they've been great with me,i just got a new track on my 09 cuz the transfer rod locking nut came loose and the rod came apart so it damaged the track some

Was it doing before you replaced your track and broke your transfer rod?

It could be your new track that has a DEFECT, warm it up and when it starts vibrating take it to the shop and put her on a stand and turn your track by hand and see how it easy and evenly it rotates doing this with motor running at idle, if it gets a sort of a "FLAT" spot it'll tend to make it vibrate...it should rotate very evenly and smooth.

it was doing it before the new track,its not a big vibration but i do notice it,funny,yesterday we rode 200 miles and it didnt vibrate at all,maybe im too fussy,im loving that sled so far,2000 miles on it and its super on gas,i hit 25 mpg in perfect conditions last weekend,that's riding at 50 mph and feathering the throttle on take off,very impressed,i even edged my wife's phazer that nobody could beat last year

Hey Pat
how do you like the Phazer and what kind is it? im thinking of trading in my old v max on a 07 phazer brand new still in the show room. What do you think of it? and how does it do on the trails? I know its off topic i was looking for someone on here to tell me a little about how they liked them. Have any issues with it?
thanks ahead

Attachments

• DSC00734.JPG
    DSC00734.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 84
its my wife's sled,its an 07 gt,its been a good little sled with ample power for the trail,its no race machine but i enjoy the power that comes out of that thing,it now has 11000 km and,knock on wood,ive never had anything fail on that sled,there are 4 or 5 recalls on it so if you purchase it make sure the dealer performs them before picking up the sled,its free,the ice build up is about the worst complaint that i have with that sled,but i just recently covered both holes and its way better,you need a fan for the rad otherwise it might overheat,i got it free from my dealer but im not sure if its part of the update,one other very important thing to do is to get to the air filter retainer clips and silicone them in place,a few on here had that little clip vibrate off and the motor ate it,not good,pull 1 hole on the front strap and the hyfax will last a long time,never replaced 1 wheel,its a fun sled,oh and its very good on gas,if you do buy it,pm me if you have any questions,i'll be glad to answer them

Please post if you find a fix to your vibration.

I have the same vibration in my 2007 vector. It starts at app 53 mph and I also can feel it in my hands and feet. i have checked everything I can think of, belt, clutches, wheels, bearings, I even changed the track because i had a couple of studs pull through and thought it might be that, new track is the same vibration and even possibly worse now.

If anybody has any ideas, please let us know

I also forgot to mention, the vibration seems worse when you are in snow or a soft trail where it is harder going, it is not as noticible when on the hardpack or a plowed road.

NEAD IDEAS!!!!

One thing I noticed on my Vector, after riding in snow dust, following other sleds and such, my airbox gets a ton of water in it. It could be that when you sled is cold the water is frozen and then once it warms up and melts it starts to get past the filter element and chokes your engine a bit. Might want to pull the airbox and check. After riding 800 miles last year I pulled my airbox and it looked like I had just hosed it down with water and forgot to dry it out. I could not believe how much water was in it. Well, it doesn't hurt to check even if this isn't your problem.

Back