• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Weird Sound Around Brake!

vodoo child

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Sidewinder LTX/LE 50th
My buddy has a 21 T-cat, roughly 1,800 miles. He installed the BOP wedge set at 30ft. pnds. with a loose rotor since new with no issues. It has now developed a grinding thumping sound around the brake. Remove the wedge the sound goes away, reinstall the wedge the sound returns. Tunnel is not flexing and no shavings or brown colored dust to indicate a bad bearing. I'm at a loss on this one! :dunno: Any info would be helpful, Thanks guy's. ;)!

Any pulsing(brake handle) from the rotor when applying light pressure to brake?

Any chance the bearing failed? That would be crazy low miles for that to happen, but its possible.

Last edited:
At 1800 miles it's beyond what a wedge can correct. New shaft, or spin weld, New bearing, Then the wedge at 40ftlbs will be good.

30 ft/lbs ain't near enough. I'd bet the driveshaft is worn.
We ran it on a stand in my garage, no pulsing in the brake with the wedge in or out. Just for reference, when I put a complete new drive shaft in mine 2 yrs ago I bench tested my wedge with the new shaft and bearing. At 20 ft lbs. the bearing wouldn't budge. I set mine at 35ft lbs in the machine and have not had an issue. When my buddy got his 2021 T-cat in the fall of 2020 we set his at 35 lbs. and the rotor had no play, so we backed it off to 30lbs. and the rotor now has play. I can't see that the bearing spun at this point. If it were a bad bearing it should make noise with the wedge in or out, but the noise disappears with the wedge out. Like I said, the tunnel isn't flexing and everything looks to be running true. I'm stumped on this one!

At this point I would be inspecting bearing very close… Remove seal and see of the bearing has rust or looks normal…. Pressure from Saver may have had effect on bearing wear if shaft was made properly in the first place…. You would think at some point the driveshafts would get corrected to eliminate the problem….

As Yamamarc says, bearing could have failed. Not common, but possible. Maybe with wedge out, bearing is not even turning so noise goes away? Close inspection is needed.

Back