• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Whose intalled there own kit?

Chern_889

Hey there, im looking into buying a nytro with the intent of turboing it, and im just curious whose installed there own kits and how it went?
Im looking specifically at either an MCX 180 or 240 kit, the big factor in choosing one over the other will be whether or not i think i can handle installing a head shim.

Im not new to major engine work, as ive built a couple small block fords in my day. Im not willing to let someone else install the kit, i hate paying someone to wreck my junk, id rather wreck it myself.

Thanks for any input, Jay

If you have done a regular motor before you can do these no problem, get a shop manual and its all pretty easy, sleds are not that complicated, just pay attention taking things apart, label things and you can pretty much do anything. as far as 180 vs 240... IMO the shim is a good idea, more boost on pump gas is a huge plus, and having the larger kit is nice for those days you want to play around or its DEEP and you want a little more.

Nice! thanks for the replies guys, helps with the confidence factor! and Ski-dooin' it i just finished reading your entire build up thread over on sno-west! sweeet build man, i love reading build threads!

Jay

Another tip is to take pics with a digital camera as you tear it down.Many things are no brainers, but anything as far as motor assembly, linkages, clutch shims etc can be hassle free with a few reference pics as you go along. It only takes a minute for a pic and can save hours of needless thinking, especially when you are having a few beers through the process of it all. Also, give yourself time to do it right the first time, reread each step as you move along and double check your work as you go.

Did mine, and called Dave from Powderlites many times as I had questions. He was great everytime I called. Not too difficult, just takes time and now if I have problems at least I know where everything is.

K

the way i had to look at it was , layers, just start removing layers of stuff. and as it goes back together remember you are going to add more layer to those :) its easy once you see it that way.

Back