• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX Skid Removal

Sleder44

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 Nytro XTX
2015 Viper MTX 162
1994 Vmax-4- (Asphalt Sled)
Hey Guys,
Sorry if this has been asked somewhere already, I searched the forums but didn't really find anything.

Anyhow, I bought my first sidewinder (2020 XTX) last year. Getting ready to do preseason maintenance and going to pull the skid so i can check/grease the driveshaft bearing. I have done skids on many Yamaha chassis, but this will be a first for me on the arctic cat chassis, so I thought i would ask some questions instead of going in blind like I usually do LOL.

My question is, is there anything different on this winder as compared to say a Nytro or Apex? I'm hoping you guys tell me it's a little easier LOL..

Any tips, tricks, advice, criticism... Its all welcome. Thanks!!!

Its way easier with the Procross slide action skid.

Loosen the back axle, slack off the adjusters.
Undo the back bolts where the high rollers are, pull the front arms off of the cross shaft (up in the tunnel) and it falls right out.

Consider beefing up the cross shaft and side of the tunnel with the Barn of Parts upgrade kits. Not hard to do and really puts some strength to a lightly built system.

The sliders on these sleds really hold up well compared to Yamaha chasiss.
MS

Check the “known issues list “at the top of the sidewinder trail talk page,priceless information ,good luck ! Travis at Barn of parts will be your friend

not a whole lot of us that post on here with the 146" xtx. i found it really hard to search stuff pertaining to it, but it is a hell of a sled. i havent pulled the skid out, but it doesnt look too hard....putting it in yourself might be a bugger. ive seen guys tilt the sled at an angle and drop in the skid that way.

the biggest improvmentin ride ive done to my sled was put in a stingray front skid spring, it transformed the ride completely. if you are willing to try something different, i suggest giving that spring a shot

Have any of you had experience laying the sled on its side for reinstalling the skid? I have never done it that way but curious if there are issues with doing it that way due to the oil sump?

Have any of you had experience laying the sled on its side for reinstalling the skid? I have never done it that way but curious if there are issues with doing it that way due to the oil sump?
You're not going to hurt the oiling system by tipping the sled on it's side (that's one of the reasons why the motor uses a dry-sump system). I've never had an issue pushing the skid back in with just the rear lifted - take the skid out by removing the two rear bolts THEN the two front bolts. To put the skid back in, just reverse that process - I've never had to back off any track tension or adjusters either.

You're not going to hurt the oiling system by tipping the sled on it's side (that's one of the reasons why the motor uses a dry-sump system). I've never had an issue pushing the skid back in with just the rear lifted - take the skid out by removing the two rear bolts THEN the two front bolts. To put the skid back in, just reverse that process - I've never had to back off any track tension or adjusters either.
You only have to remove the 2 rear bolts to pull the suspension.

Interesting, so your removing the cross bar that the front ears of suspension hook in to? This would give more slack in the track for sure.

Being older my group uses an ATV winch mounted to the ceiling. Makes raising and lower the back of sled really easy. One tip I would give you would be some old hyfax, lay them between the track and suspension. This method keeps the rails and bogey wheels above the lugs, makes it easier to slid the suspension in and out.

Being older my group uses an ATV winch mounted to the ceiling. Makes raising and lower the back of sled really easy. One tip I would give you would be some old hyfax, lay them between the track and suspension. This method keeps the rails and bogey wheels above the lugs, makes it easier to slid the suspension in and out.
The old hyfax trick is a good one. Thank you

Interesting, so your removing the cross bar that the front ears of suspension hook in to? This would give more slack in the track for sure.
I wasn't paying enough attention when writing my reply (I saw XTX and went from there). My rear suspension is the older 141" skidframe that's just bolted to the front of the tunnel on both sides - there are no ears or crossshaft for the front arm to slide on. HOWEVER, I did have the skid frame out this weekend and I believe the service manual said to unbolt everything, but I could be wrong.

Back