• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Yamaha vk bearing failure

ssian

Website
www.stjohns.ca
Any one else have the rear bearing go on the rear guide wheels? Was drving the sled the weekend and the rear wheel passed me. Bearing was gone! sled only has 800km and is a 2008. I did know that some yamaha sleds had a recall on this.

A spare idler has always been one of the parts I zip tied into the cowl on sleds I've owned. I never have on Yamahas and have never needed to. Maybe I will now. Gotta service the beast tonight. All this weekend's stuck festivities highlighted the ratcheting track. I'll look at the idlers. Thanks for the memo.

Did the nut that holds the idler on the shaft come loose & then idler wheel came off or did bearing go. I just checked all my idlers some needed grease so pried seal off & put grease in the bearing & poped seal back on. The big idlers on rear of track have to be greased with a grease needle because you can't get at the seal to remove it.This was done on a 2007 VK-PRO.

waynes said:
While your at it check the wheel in the middle> bearing failed on mine and wore shaft just about through. Had to repace shaft.

exact thing happened to mine. At that time I started to go through the suspension and just about all bearings were gone. Changed bearings where I could, regreased some of the bearings in the non replaceable wheels and had to replace some wheels. The two big ones were tore to pieces. This was at about 7000km. I've been regreaseing twice a season ever since and the bearings are holding up. Eventually I will replace all of them with the good wheels with replaceable bearings. 15000km on her now, still in super shape for what I've put her through!

ssian said:
Any one else have the rear bearing go on the rear guide wheels? Was drving the sled the weekend and the rear wheel passed me. Bearing was gone! sled only has 800km and is a 2008. I did know that some yamaha sleds had a recall on this.

So far so good, with 2400 km on the '07. (1000 km of that in the past two months).

Can you clarify which rear wheel/bearing failed? Is this the wheel at the far rear of the track, where the track changes direction?

Someone mentioned a recall by Yamaha. Does anyone have more information about this - when, which model years, etc?

I don't see any place to grease any of the wheels, but all seem to turn easily without any wobble, etc.

I had a rear wheel pass me once with my 04 but in my case the nut had come loose and fell off along with the wheel and washer. I was very lucky I seen it stopped went back and found everything put it all back on and limped her home to check everythng.

Wheel mods

07 vk pro,26000 km on the clock, replaced all the plastic wheels in the skid with the older style aluminum wheels like the 540 used. Found these to be a much better wheel for not freezing up and jamming

Back