• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 rx1 hanging idle

wow what a pain... thank you for sharing your troubles and being truthful with what happened it really helps us poor garage mechanics when we run into a problem.... don't think your dumb at all law of averages comes into play sooner or later you have probably done a bunch of these with no issues it just happens once in a while to keep us humble...;)!

Cable sticking?

I know when I adjusted mine, I have an 1/8" gap at the lever after the slack is taken out. I was hitting the TORS at times before the adjustment......... Some gap it further, 3/16"......

Just realized this thread is over 3yrs old..... Sorry......

Last edited:
Regarding the screens; when you remove the float with the needle, you can take the small Phillips screw and then using needle nose pliers you can twist out the needle housing. You will see the screen at the bottom of the housing. When I cleaned and rebuilt my carbs, I changed these out on all 4 carbs. I still have a studder or shudder problem however. Still trying to sort that out.

So, the saga continued. Sled came back after the customer/friend, rode it for a while, doing more crazy #*$&@.

Would not turn up and ran crappy. So all I can think of is that it has some kind of electrical problem.
I changed plugs, nothing,
changed coil packs, nothing,
while I had it in, I changed out the tors/kill switch on the bar as it was an earlier problem and had been bypassed, found chewed wires bare, three of them, under the bar pad, nothing,
replaced fuel filters and fuel line in tank as the filter tubes could move in and out of the filters and the hose seemed soft enough to fold when the filters moved around, nothing,
checked compression, nothing,
checked tps again, nothing,
checked stator and pickup,
nothing, went back to cleaning carbs, AGAIN, had a main jet plugged with a piece of rubber from either the carb bowl O ring or the O ring from the main to the bowl.

All of that is about 6hrs of parts swapping, test ride, testing, and, swearing. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Never assume your carbs are clean, even if you just cleaned them, and when you install your carb bowls, use grease to hold the O rings in place and use grease to lube up the O ring on your main. While your at it, take the carb bowl and chamfer the hole that the main jet tower slides into so there is no chance of it shaving off a piece of O rings.

Man, I sure do know my way around an rx1 now. A talent I am sure will come in handy owning an auto glass shop.

So, the saga continued. Sled came back after the customer/friend, rode it for a while, doing more crazy #*$&@.

Would not turn up and ran crappy. So all I can think of is that it has some kind of electrical problem.
I changed plugs, nothing,
changed coil packs, nothing,
while I had it in, I changed out the tors/kill switch on the bar as it was an earlier problem and had been bypassed, found chewed wires bare, three of them, under the bar pad, nothing,
replaced fuel filters and fuel line in tank as the filter tubes could move in and out of the filters and the hose seemed soft enough to fold when the filters moved around, nothing,
checked compression, nothing,
checked tps again, nothing,
checked stator and pickup,
nothing, went back to cleaning carbs, AGAIN, had a main jet plugged with a piece of rubber from either the carb bowl O ring or the O ring from the main to the bowl.

All of that is about 6hrs of parts swapping, test ride, testing, and, swearing. Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Never assume your carbs are clean, even if you just cleaned them, and when you install your carb bowls, use grease to hold the O rings in place and use grease to lube up the O ring on your main. While your at it, take the carb bowl and chamfer the hole that the main jet tower slides into so there is no chance of it shaving off a piece of O rings.

Man, I sure do know my way around an rx1 now. A talent I am sure will come in handy owning an auto glass shop.
So it's fixed? I took the o rings off the mains and never replaced. They were dry rotted and broke apart easily. No problems running without.

Back