• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 Yamaha VK Pro Oil Change

zzmrnc

I was looking for a little assistance, I recently purchased a used 2008 Yamaha VK Pro and I would like to perform an oil change. I was wonder if someone could direct me to a good tutorial to walk me through my first oil change on a four-stroke snowmachine. I’ve owned a number of VK 540 two strokes but this is my first four-stroke.
Thanks in advance for the help.

I don't know of a tutorial but changing the oil isn't too difficult. You'll need to remove the right side panel. Be patient and don't strip the phillips heads! If you have a skid plate that has to come off, too. Draining the oil from the tank is straight forward. The manual will tell you to replace the copper washer at every change but I've gotten by with two ot three on the same washer. Draining the engine irequires removing the access plate under the belly pan. It requires a metric torx bit, the sive escapes me. The filter is angled awkwardly so it's best to buy the filter wrench to remove/install. I pair of water pump pliers can work in a pinch but be careful! The drain plug is to the left sifde of the filter and is a larger torx drive than the access door screws. Best to buy a set of torx drivers. You won't see much oil from the engine block. Drain and replace the plug. Replace the filter. Install the acess door. Be careful not to put too much up force on the access door screws or you can dislodge the pressed-in nuts. Add a couple of quarts of oil to the tank and start the engine. Let it run until the tank gets warm from circulating oil. Check the oil level and top it off. It should take about 2 3/4 quarts to fill to the mid line on the dipstick.

One thing to watch for, sometimes the oil filter o-ring will seperate from the filter and stay on the engine. If you install a new filter over it, you will have a leak.

Back