• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Can exhaust be fixed/welded?

Mooseman

I'm not all knowing. Post your question in forum.
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
'07 Venture MP (gone)
'07 Phazer FX (gone)
'09 Phazer GT (gone)
'10 RS Venture GT (My current ride)
'10 Nytro FX (son's)
Well this sucks big time. Really bad break. I have a stick and MIG welder or I could take the whole thing to a welding shop.

Any suggestions?

20150302_120111 (Large).jpg

Yes it can be welded. I believe that the exhaust is stainless so stainless wire would be in order and MIG or TIG would be your best bet. I have even had my 06 Apex header welded up after my studs ripped them up pretty good. Just need to use the correct wire.

Hard to imagine how that happens, especially being stainless. And I figure you did the copper donut thing not so far back and would have noticed if anything was amiss then. I'm thinking the language was a little stronger than sucks when you first saw it.

pull the pipe and weld it. I would check the tunnel to bulkhead rivits while you are in there as kirkswim broke similar to that on the war and it broke again because of loose rivits. sapplingkiller's where bad enough I had to put bolts in when I did his dounuts.

Can be welded, should be tig and back purged, if you weren't in canada id say send it to me, the shipping may suck but my offer stands. I own a welding and machine shop. DO NOT let someone that cannot properly repair it touch it. Properly repaired it can be stronger than stock.

I will check all those but the sled seems solid. I couldn't check a whole lot because there was a giant ice booger stuck in the tunnel and had to wait until it eventually fell out. I'll take the exhaust out and will take it to a welding shop that has the proper equipment and experience to do this right. I'll also ask if it can be reinforced by adding some plating above and below.

I did the copper donuts 4+ years ago and all was fine then. The flex joints are also fine so I don't know what gives.

Someone at work suggested that I just get a new exhaust. At $980, I don't think so!

Yep, was thinking the same thing. Wish you were closer because I would certainly take you up on your offer. I will ask the shops how they are proposing to fix it (TIG and back purging) before deciding.

Let me know if you need a name of a shop
Young lad (and Yamaha sledder) in Perth
Mig/tig/stick whatever you need

Perth is a bit away but yeah, if I don't find somebody adequate around here, I'll hit you up. Thanks.

No Problem
He would likely meet you at my place in Stittsville over a beer or two

Yep, was thinking the same thing. Wish you were closer because I would certainly take you up on your offer. I will ask the shops how they are proposing to fix it (TIG and back purging) before deciding.
Don't get caught up too much on back purging, a good tig welder can do it without back purging,the back purging just prevents the stainless from "sugaring" on the back/inside of the weld by flowing argon inside the pipes displaces any oxygen and you get a better weld inside and out. I would ask if they could add a gusset like the one I loaded the photo of, this will give it some protection from studs, and structurally rigidity to spread the load out across a wide area than the heat affected zone.

Definitely will have a gusset/reinforcing plate added to support the welds. I don't have studs and never will get them so that's not a concern for me. I would rather be absolutely certain that I get the best possible weld to fix this so that I never have to revisit this issue. I use the mantra "fix it right the first time".

After my MP had its ice baby, I checked the exhaust and all the hangers are fine so I'm still at a loss as to why this happened unless the ice is the cause but it melts around the muffler and pipe so shouldn't restrict movement. Didn't have time today to take it out but probably will tomorrow and start shopping for a welder.

Try Alloy Metal Fabrication.
Ask for Garry and tel him Pat from Jumec told you to call. They do a lot of work for us. Make all kinds of things out of stainless and all kinds of metal. Tell him what you need and he will probably be able to help. They are on cleopatra off merivale.

Back