• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Clutching on the cheap

I have to admit that I had a little sticker shock when I went to buy the new 8FS weights. First Pioneer told me 91 dollars per weight, then I was like whoa.

Then he said he could give them to me for 76, but still I was surprised, but they are on the way with spring, shims a new 8DN belt. Still wondering about the secondary washers that prevent coil bind.

I have to admit that I had a little sticker shock when I went to buy the new 8FS weights. First Pioneer told me 91 dollars per weight, then I was like whoa.

Then he said he could give them to me for 76, but still I was surprised, but they are on the way with spring, shims a new 8DN belt. Still wondering about the secondary washers that prevent coil bind.

So you're paying $76/weight?

Secondary washers are for adjusting belt deflection.

No, I know about the belt deflection washers. I think it was Nos Pro that said he used washers to space his helix out so the spring coils wouldn't bind. I just cant picture where he put them.

Yes 76 per weight am i getting ripped off or are there 3 in a package or something and the guys at pioneer didn't understand.
Let me know as i still have time to change the order.

$228 for weights that have no adjustment I'd say is a rip off. I have a few sets of magnaforce weights from D&D, none are for sale, but they are $200 for a set of 3, they can be adjusted for a sled anywhere from prolly 120hp all the way up to close to 200hp simply by adding or taking away magnets, they're simple to adjust, the problem with a clutch setup that has no adjustment is that if it works at 1 elevation where a sled is making say 120 hp, it's not going to work for a sled at a different elevation making 130hp..let's say in the future you add a can or intake or something to increase power, if you don't have adjustable weights you're stuck trying to find a different spring rate to work. If you're into a do it yourself set up and don't have a lot of available springs id highly recommend an adjustable weight. Huge range of adjustability and in comparison are cheaper than a none adjustable weight

Just looked it up at port yamaha and this is what it said, so i guess the price is right.

QUANTITY
PART CATEGORY RETAIL YOUR PRICE

WEIGHT COMP
(8FS-17605-00-00) Snowmobiles $91.03 $76.47

$228 for weights that have no adjustment I'd say is a rip off. I have a few sets of magnaforce weights from D&D, none are for sale, but they are $200 for a set of 3, they can be adjusted for a sled anywhere from prolly 120hp all the way up to close to 200hp simply by adding or taking away magnets, they're simple to adjust, the problem with a clutch setup that has no adjustment is that if it works at 1 elevation where a sled is making say 120 hp, it's not going to work for a sled at a different elevation making 130hp..let's say in the future you add a can or intake or something to increase power, if you don't have adjustable weights you're stuck trying to find a different spring rate to work. If you're into a do it yourself set up and don't have a lot of available springs id highly recommend an adjustable weight. Huge range of adjustability and in comparison are cheaper than a none adjustable weight

I hear what your saying, gives me some more to think about. I have adjustability with the rivets, and I have some other weights but have never bought new weights just have always gotten them off the forum or ebay so I was surprised

It's totally your call, but personally I'd be much happier with a set of magnaforce that I can adjust specifically to my sled and my riding style. When I did the quiet can on my viper this past winter I had another viper to compare to and within a couple hours we had the clutching dialed in awesome, I already had the clutch kit with the weights, all I had to do was add some magnets to the tip of the weights to keep it from over revving once I got out there at some decent speeds, without those weights I would've had to try out a bunch of different weights and springs and still may not have even got the results I was looking for

As always I appreciate any information on these sleds, I was just trying to follow the clutch setup posted in this thread, but having adjustable weights makes sense as no matter whose clutching tips you follow some adjustment will have to be made because of differences in sleds and rider weight. You can bet I will be thinking about changing my order all night now. What is your clutch recipe if I can ask.

Thanks

No, I know about the belt deflection washers. I think it was Nos Pro that said he used washers to space his helix out so the spring coils wouldn't bind. I just cant picture where he put them.

Yes 76 per weight am i getting ripped off or are there 3 in a package or something and the guys at pioneer didn't understand.
Let me know as i still have time to change the order.
I also ran the washers to shim my helix most of last year to reduce coil bind along with 8fp weights ut i ran a little different spring than Nos and a 1 degree different helix. We had very close to the same results with 2 xtx's.

Were they just regular washers or was there something special about them?

I have the D&D clutch kit in mine, has magnaforce weights, different springs and different helix, they have they're base setting on the weights but really it's just a starting point. Like I said they're simple to adjust, all you need to do is remove the belt. Take off the 6 bolts holding the primary face on and you're all set, you can easily access the weights without pulling off the primary. Just for a little fun fact, we have 3 ltx vipers this past summer all clutch testing, all had the same exact kit, all 3 sleds ended up with different magnet settings but all were dead even from launch to top speed, we swapped out both clutches and belts to each different sled and when we did that all the sleds were turds, either not enough rpm or way too much rpm. We were doing 3 sleds side by side racing so it was all equal conditions. My point being, even an identical kit on an identical sled will not always work, that's where the beauty of adjustable weights come in.

It's totally your call, but personally I'd be much happier with a set of magnaforce that I can adjust specifically to my sled and my riding style. When I did the quiet can on my viper this past winter I had another viper to compare to and within a couple hours we had the clutching dialed in awesome, I already had the clutch kit with the weights, all I had to do was add some magnets to the tip of the weights to keep it from over revving once I got out there at some decent speeds, without those weights I would've had to try out a bunch of different weights and springs and still may not have even got the results I was looking for
All weights are not the same. the profile of the weight plays as much of a role as what it weighs. A weight with a lot of curve will pull rpm's down with less total weight, than a weight with a flat profile requires more mass to do the same thing. This also depends on the torque of the motor being clutched. There is lot to clutching.

Back