• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Highest Speeds on Sidewinder/Thundercat

Well to be honest, I’ve thought the same about some of your posts. Stopping by a bar or the many watering holes that you speak of, and then lining up? I may love my speed when conditions and trails/roads allow, but I learned my lessons about alcohol and motor toys, many years ago in the 70’s, and still to this day follow my Golden rule. Alcohol only once the toys are put away for the day, or night!! And then, I have been known to indulge for sure! So yeah, keep it as safe and as fun as possible! My Wider isn’t that fast, but has been pretty reliable, and I do love to beat on it whenever safe and possible!
"Bar Hopper" is just a term. Basically its associated with a bar & grille. Generally speaking you're on or near a large lake overlooking a parking area with sleds on it. and racing on a lake gives you the field of view of 1/4mile in either direction. Then sleds might roll up so you know who's who or you have to play "Match the sled gear with the sled." Lol. Unfortunately, this is where most of the smack talk happens. You could just be eating a sandwich or some chilli, perhaps the days special. However I do understand how that term can be very misleading.
I could never ever run balls out on a 20' wide trail. Never even think of it. Not enough space to maneuver, if something seriously gets out of hand.
However, the feedback I've gathered over the last 20yrs, is that's just the way it is in Maine. Not a ton of options.

Last edited:

"Bar Hopper" is just a term. Basically its associated with a bar & grille. Generally speaking you're on or near a large lake overlooking a parking area with sleds on it. and racing on a lake gives you the field of view of 1/4mile in either direction. Then sleds might roll up so you know who's who or you have to play "Match the sled gear with the sled." Lol. Unfortunately, this is where most of the smack talk happens. You could just be eating a sandwich or some chilli, perhaps the days special. However I do understand how that term can be very misleading.
I could never ever run balls out on a 20' wide trail. Never even think of it. Not enough space to maneuver, if something seriously gets out of hand.
However, the feedback I've gathered over the last 20yrs, is that's just the way it is in Maine. Not a ton of options.
New Hampshire has a 45 mph speed limit!

Wisconsin doesn't have a speed limit during daylight hours.
Only at night, 55mph.
But in my 30+ yrs of riding, I've never seen DNR out at night.
Yes, the irony in it all....lol.

New Hampshire has a 45 mph speed limit!
MN is 50 mph or whatever is posted. My muffler is hardly hot at 50 LOL. The people (legislators who pass this stuff don't even know what a snowmobile looks like!). They've never been on one. There's places where 40 is too fast (parking lots, downtown streets, restaurant lots, etc) and there's places where 100 is safe (long, uninhabited lakes, rivers, etc).

Wisconsin doesn't have a speed limit during daylight hours.
Only at night, 55mph.
But in my 30+ yrs of riding, I've never seen DNR out at night.
Yes, the irony in it all....lol.
I have seen them out at night when they first passed that years ago. I couldn't believe it they were radar in off the trail.. They used to have a trailer with decals. DNR snowmobile enforcement or something along those lines. Luckily we were within as we were young and dumb back then. I want to say it was early 2000's . It was later at night 9-10 pm. Up by Lakewood, Townsend area. I have not rode at night in many years now. Sun up to 2-4 pm afternoon for me.

MN is 50 mph or whatever is posted. My muffler is hardly hot at 50 LOL. The people (legislators who pass this stuff don't even know what a snowmobile looks like!). They've never been on one. There's places where 40 is too fast (parking lots, downtown streets, restaurant lots, etc) and there's places where 100 is safe (long, uninhabited lakes, rivers, etc).
50 ? hell that's still one hand on the bars yet!

In NY 55 is the "absolute" limit but there is radar used on some trails. The trail system in Old Forge for example runs along some roads by residential areas so low speed enforcement and muffler decibels are more about noise than anything else especially near resident homes. Years ago, when these trails were created, there were no homes in these areas. On the lakes I have never seen speed enforcement. Drinking and driving at night is a bigger issue with the deaths and injuries from after-hours accidents. The trail polishers blow out the base in many corners leaving an ice surface. Sadly, some people carry to much speed into the corners under the influence with worn carbides or no studs and end up in the trees. Hitting boat docks at night after leaving a bar also seems to happen too often. I like to ride early as possible in the morning and back in the trailer long before dark.

My sentiments exactly ! You know where and when it's safe to turn on, where others may not enjoy more than 50 mph in any spot or circumstance!

In NY 55 is the "absolute" limit but there is radar used on some trails. The trail system in Old Forge for example runs along some roads by residential areas so low speed enforcement and muffler decibels are more about noise than anything else especially near resident homes. Years ago, when these trails were created, there were no homes in these areas. On the lakes I have never seen speed enforcement. Drinking and driving at night is a bigger issue with the deaths and injuries from after-hours accidents. The trail polishers blow out the base in many corners leaving an ice surface. Sadly, some people carry to much speed into the corners under the influence with worn carbides or no studs and end up in the trees. Hitting boat docks at night after leaving a bar also seems to happen too often. I like to ride early as possible in the morning and back in the trailer long before dark.
I try not to ride at night. In our state there are many spots where the trails becomes the Mooses playground or gathering spots, so if you do ride at night you better be wary of that. I could tell many stories of having our riding party having to wait for moose to leave the trail, or just turning around because the snow pack is too deep for the younger ones, so none of them move. Mix in some speed, alcohol and the fact that unlike deer, moose eyes do not light up at night, making them hard to spot until your right on them. Yes, we've even had a Mom moose come at us while we are waiting patiently for the group of moose to leave the trail! Places like Shirley Bog, Jackman, Moosehead, The Forks and many others are known for their moose population! I see many spots where moose tracks cover a trail, if I'm first on that trail for the day, and it's a good reminder that Wildlife use these trails at night also!!

The eyes of a moose will reflect light at night. The problem is that they are so tall the reflection from your headlight is reflecting above your head.

The eyes of a moose will reflect light at night. The problem is that they are so tall the reflection from your headlight is reflecting above your head.
Well, unlike Deer eyes which shine RED at night and are the first thing you see of that deer, moose eyes do not do that. Reflect? OK, I wasn't aware and I've seen many at night while on sleds, both deer and moose. But yeah, moose end up coming thru car windshields a lot when run into, whereas deer aren't tall enough to cause that.

I’ve see deer go right through the windshield . Wasn’t pretty .

Back