• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Hurricane trail exhaust ??

Believe it or not, I was told once "they" allow loud exhaust on Harleys for safety reasons - cars can hear them much better with loud exhausts and that should afford the rider a safer ride.
Maybe what we need is to make a case that we are protecting the deer with our not much louder than stock exhaust so they run away and don't get run over by sleds?

In Maine, the extremely LOUD mountain 2-strokes brought on some complaints. They echo whole valley's for hours. People live in the bottom of these valley's.
Rules had to be made to protect the trails for the rest of us before the complainers get legal on us & shut down trails.
To be fair, they have to bust 4-strokes also.
Maine decided, no matter how quiet it is, if it isn't STOCK............YOU'RE ILLEGAL!
The odds of getting pinched are rather small & most Wardens won't notice most 998 muffs.
BUT, in the County where trails are big & most run big tunes, they will be checking and measuring outlet sizes.

Just before i met FLEECER last year, he got checked. The Warden saw his OEM stamp & let him slide. With a tape measure, he'd be busted.
His isn't loud at all. I'm not sure why the Warden even checked him, BUT he did.

As far as not having to have to lift my hood........................i don't have to show the Police my pistol permit either when asked, BUT I DO!
There is SOOO much distrust & disrespect in this nation towards police that it's getting DANGEROUS. They have a job to do . It's called enforcing the law.

I think a famous poet once said, "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time"

Or was that a song to a TV show? Anybody?

In all seriousness around here it's a felony to flee from the law. I have been waved thru exhaust checkpoints with my hurricane quiet trail muffler.

Like i said, getting busted depends on the Warden's mood or where you are. Odds of getting pinched are rare.

Staircase & Hutch is wrong answer.

you cant be serious
State law in maine is no modified exhaust of ANY kind. any exhaust has to have the oem scc stamp on it. They are absolutely allowed to do a visual inspection.
obviously they cant force you to open it, but If you dont open the panel the sled is gonna get dragged out of the woods by wardens and not only will you be getting a ticket you will be paying towing fees and playing a huge game to get it back.
Snowmobilers are not sovereign citizens. Lol

Quit being such a sally, seriously grow a set!

In all seriousness around here it's a felony to flee from the law. I have been waved thru exhaust checkpoints with my hurricane quiet trail muffler.

Wave at this! Seriously anyone seeing this on yer record would laugh.
Here’s the deal.......they aren’t gonna catch ya anyhow, unless yer a total sissy.

:drink:

Let's get back to the Hurricane exhaust.
I've heard it's not loud at all.
Forget the horsepower for now.
I almost went with an aftermarket exhaust just so i can check my chain tension often which i believe is VERY important with this sled.
I'm thinking i may take my sled home every 1000 miles to check this. What a PITA!
I think the Hurricane allows for chain adjustment.

I can get the HP with a stock muff.
I do big miles and an aftermarket muff still sucks after 300 mile days, but if i did go aftermarket exhaust, this may be it.

.... Loud is not fast...its just loud ......

'Seems like just about every Harley rider failed to get this memo ;)

Loud pipes save lives in traffic against those 4 wheel vehicles (trucks and cars)that do not see you. Maybe not always but mostly.

Either way you better be defensive on any bike because limbs do not grow back.

Been on a bike since I was 14 and have had many close calls and some scars to prove the quiet bike theory.

Everyone is in a hurry morning noon and night and bikes are not always seen thus the headlight law of the 70’s.

I try and stay away from non bike traffic areas, but getting to them gets tricky and many just do not care or realize and know they can cut you off even if they do see or hear you!

There is more then 1 memo for bike riders that I know of!

Let's get back to the Hurricane exhaust.
I've heard it's not loud at all.
Forget the horsepower for now.
I almost went with an aftermarket exhaust just so i can check my chain tension often which i believe is VERY important with this sled.
I'm thinking i may take my sled home every 1000 miles to check this. What a PITA!
I think the Hurricane allows for chain adjustment.

I can get the HP with a stock muff.
I do big miles and an aftermarket muff still sucks after 300 mile days, but if i did go aftermarket exhaust, this may be it.

Stock muffler tunes are really turning up the hp recently, up to 260-270 if that is enough, and on pump fuel.

Believe it or not, I was told once "they" allow loud exhaust on Harleys for safety reasons - cars can hear them much better with loud exhausts and that should afford the rider a safer ride.
Maybe what we need is to make a case that we are protecting the deer with our not much louder than stock exhaust so they run away and don't get run over by sleds?

Good point, but in reality the really super loud exhaust is probably worse as far as deer mitigant is concerned. It’s now a known fact that deer whistles on vehicles are actually not recommended. I personally have experienced that deer along roadways are spooked by loud noises, causing them to jump and run. It’s really not a legitimate claim, similar too not wearing a helmet is safer than wearing one.
Lots of BS surrounding Harley bike safety IMO.

As far as Wardens checking loud exhaust, I have been stopped and cited in a situation where the dB readings were taken underneath a concrete bridge. They funneled everyone into between two bridge pilings and took readings between two concrete supports with a concrete roadway above. The sound would echo so much even most stock sleds would not pass the test. When I suggested that the test was unfair I was immediately issued a citation! Handing out tickets like candy bars, I decided at that point I would never stop for these clowns again, and I haven’t.
My sled isn’t very loud and much quieter than most Harley’s. IMO it’s unfair practice to enforce sleds noise levels, when every year I have too sleep in my basement during Harley fall ride.

:drink:

Back