• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MN TY ride

I put on 380+ miles on the Iron Range over the weekend. I rode from Side Lake to Chisholm/Hibbing then to the Nashwauk area and back on Friday night, then on Saturday we rode from Side Lake, after stopping by The Grizzley1s garage for some quick welding, (Thanks Dan!) up to Cook and over to Tower then Ely and Babbitt, then back to Side Lake. The only really bad spot was a stretch from Babbitt on the Taconite West spur to the Iron Ore Trail. That's a pretty rocky area and you couldn't see a lot of rocks, but you sure could feel them. Other wise the riding was very good. Lake Vermilion had a lot of slush, but the ride was OK as long as you didn't try to stay right by the stakes. The way the weather is going we will be having a great ride!

I heard there is a lot of logging going on over by the Tim Corey trail... Also heard the snow is chest deep in spots:D

I'm planning to be there, but haven't looked into reservations yet. Want to make sure it's going to work out this year. Worst case I'll get a room in town or else my wife is into the VRBO thing so we might do that for the weekend.

DeepFrz said:
Bieniek and I will try to make it this year. We will probably ride from Duluth on up, if anyone wants to ride up with us, let us know!

I'd be interested in riding up with you guys!!!

I'm planning on driving up on Thursday night. I called Kathy at Creek Ridge, to book my room, she's wondering why no one has called to reserve a room. I know there are some who live on the Range and said they would be driving to Ely for the rides and don't need a room. I just wanted to remind anyone that's going hasn't booked a room, to please do so. Only a couple weeks away now.

Friday is usually off-trail backwoods stuff. Saturday will be a long ride. I was thinking on Saturday we'd ride to the Trestle Inn in Isabella for lunch. The snow is always good in Isabella. I will be riding around the Ely area this weekend. From what I've heard the trails a very good and the snow is around 2 feet. You are welcome to join us, I'm looking forward to seeing everybody.

Yeah for the Friday ride:) How far is that to the trestle one way? My sled is proving to not be the most fuel efficient one I've ever owned. Lots of fun, but likes it's fuel

I have a mountain sled so 100mph lake runs don't go over so well. That is really the only reason I wondered about riding style. I will be checking my schedule. Thanks

Me too - I can do 100 mph lake runs on it, but that's not what it (or my) preference is. Although there is something enjoyable about see the look on peoples faces when the 162 mountain sled goes winging by them. Docking in the Boon is my idea of a good time.

mysledblows I really get a kick out of it when people run me down at a gas station or restaurant and tell me I broke my suspension because I'm dragging some cable things. LOL Ice scratchers people. I can't wait for the looks this year with the K&N sticking through the hood!

I hear you on the scratchers. Had a guy about kill himself up north one time so he could tell my sister that I was dragging something. She just looked at him and said " he knows". He might still be trying to figure out what I was up to. The dnr guy was eyeballing my intake the other day. I was surprised he didn't hassle me but all he wanted was to make sure my stickers were good:)

Usually I'm the one limiting high speed lake runs, my poor little 144" phazer only
Pulls 75-80mph tops.;)

Hahaha, I have scratchers too and last ride I had someone ask me about them, They thought something was broken... I will try to find out how far the Trestle Inn is, I don't know off hand. There is a gas station in Finland.

Back