• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

NEED SOME ADVISE ON SKIIS

Roadrider

Expert
To start with I am old so I'm not looking to extreme ride. I have a 2005
mountain vector. Everytime I try to side hill my down hill side ski sinks and
I am done, usually stuck. I bought it with a pair of non factory trail skiis and
am thinking some simmons gen 2's would allow me to do a bit better off trail.
The way it darts now on trail I don't think that any ski could make it worse.
I just can't float the front end with the skiis on it. Would I be wasting my money? Are my problems just lack of ability. We do have deep powder here
in Mt. Thanks.

i put the first gen simmons on my 05 vector mtn. And that did help, but it was still really nose heavy and darty.

What i did, and it made a night and day difference, was to raise the rear of the rear suspension up about 1 1/2 inches or so farther into the tunnel. It took most the ski pressure off and then i could really throw it around without fighting the handle bars all the time.

yes, exactly. It was quite simple and made a huge difference for me and my style of riding. Something to consider.

Also, shimming the skis helps with the darting too.

I understand the shims and how they'll help with the
darting but my real problem is sinking the downhill side ski in deep snow. thanks.

You could also remove the sway bar. This makes it much easier to lay these sleds over. Downside is with the sway bar removed makes it a little sketchy at high speeds with stock shocks. I've heard of guys drilling out the bolt and putting a cotter pin in for quick disconnect

Thankyou both for the suggestions. I'll try really
laying in heavy on the uphill side and take a look at
the swaybar.

You don't have to remove the sway bar. If you want to see how it handles; just take one bolt out of the linkage going to an A-arm. If you don't like the handeling just put the ok in. I lost a bolt and didn't even notice a difference on the trail with my RX-1mtn but it had Simmons Qen 1s from the start.

I now run PPD X-MT skis which have been dis-continued.

Got a used/near new set of Gen 2's today. Orange
grabs and Arctic Cat mounts. All I had to do was drill
my bushings to 11mm from 10mm, width of the spindles is the same. I still wouldn't mind trading the
orange hand grabs, they look brand new and were not
mounted. These have the 8 inch bars all the way around too. My skis were slp trikeels, 6" wide. Should
be a huge difference. Thanks Guys!

I have Simmons Gen 2 on my 03 rx-1 mtn since they came out and I love them The sled no longer sinks or Dives in the powder I had done a lot of mods to drop weight the years before the Gen 2 skis came out and I think if they would have came out earlier I would not have done all the mods. I think you'll be very Happy I had the regular Simmons Skis prior and the were a Marked inprovement over factory but nothing like the Gen 2 Skis.

Went on a great ride yesterday, Like a different sled.
No darting , no getting stuck, hunts a little in deep
trail snow is the only negative. Accelerates quicker from
30 on. It does wash a little in powder but with a ski
that size verses the 6 inch skis I expected it.

Back