• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thunder Products (Big Venom Viper kit) with Heavy Hitters

NOS-PRO, cleaned up the flashing, did not test it out, but I can say. If you run the secondary through the range of proper motion, the helix bottoms out before the arms even get close to the ends of where the flashing are is, now where the arms glide around yes I can agree that would cause some issues, but I seen no marks of scuffing or contact on my flashing. Again I didn't try it yet, but the theory behind it doesn't yet make sense in my head.

;)!

I hear ya.... Wish i had a clutch that was in my hands with what happens when the secondary clutch hits that flash. Some have scrapes on the towers, some will mushroom over the flash right at the bottom or at full shift.

Yammtrip1, are you stock clutching or Big Venom?

Opo ,glide washer, magna force, 48-35 helix, stock spring with washers, secondary cut to accept the 8dn a little better

OK so I installed my big venom clutch kit in my 2016 XTX tonight. It’s basically stock except for an MBRP trail can.
Before I installed the kit I would hit the rev limiter from a dead stop or evening rolling along at 20km/h and punching it in good traction. Sled would top out at around 145km/h
We have no snow here to really give it a good try but I took it out in the field which has a good heard crust and a light dusting of snow and from a rolling start it’s bang on the limiter quite a bit. but pulling like crazy. Lol
It’s set with the 3/4 Allan in the heal, 3/8 alum in the mid, 3/8 steel with thin washer in the tip, with new blu secondary set at 6&1.
When we actually get some snow and I can take it for a real drive I will be able to fine tune it better but I was wondering your thoughts about removing the thin washer off the tip and adding the thick washer to see if it has any effect on it from a rolling start?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the same boat as you. I added a second thin washer to the tip and now just barely touch the rev limiter. I'm going to try and replace both thin washers with a thick washer to bring rpm down a bit. I read the best power is made around 8900 rpms. Not sure if that's true or not
OK so I installed my big venom clutch kit in my 2016 XTX tonight. It’s basically stock except for an MBRP trail can.
Before I installed the kit I would hit the rev limiter from a dead stop or evening rolling along at 20km/h and punching it in good traction. Sled would top out at around 145km/h
We have no snow here to really give it a good try but I took it out in the field which has a good heard crust and a light dusting of snow and from a rolling start it’s bang on the limiter quite a bit. but pulling like crazy. Lol
It’s set with the 3/4 Allan in the heal, 3/8 alum in the mid, 3/8 steel with thin washer in the tip, with new blu secondary set at 6&1.
When we actually get some snow and I can take it for a real drive I will be able to fine tune it better but I was wondering your thoughts about removing the thin washer off the tip and adding the thick washer to see if it has any effect on it from a rolling start?

Yes, you will need to replace the thin washers with thick washers.

Ok clutch guru’s, I need some advice.
I’m in NB this weekend so I can actually try the sled with kit installed.
Before I left I did swap the thin washer for the thick one in the tip.
Current set up
3/4 Allan in the heal
3/8 alum in the Center
3/8 steel with thick washer in tip
-Engages really smooth and low which is very nice
-From a dead stop, or even rolling along at 20km\h she hits the limiter anywhere from 2-5 times. Even seen it tap the limiter at 40km\h if you punch it.
-Pulls really good mid range 60-120 km\h
-WOT 152km\h @8850-8900rpm
Belt does not appear to be slipping. Clutch is not right hot or black.
Hate to put more weight in the tip as I feel it will not help the top end rpm. Was thinking about moving the back spring from 6-1 to 3-3?
What’s everyone’s thoughts?

Ok clutch guru’s, I need some advice.
I’m in NB this weekend so I can actually try the sled with kit installed.
Before I left I did swap the thin washer for the thick one in the tip.
Current set up
3/4 Allan in the heal
3/8 alum in the Center
3/8 steel with thick washer in tip
-Engages really smooth and low which is very nice
-From a dead stop, or even rolling along at 20km\h she hits the limiter anywhere from 2-5 times. Even seen it tap the limiter at 40km\h if you punch it.
-Pulls really good mid range 60-120 km\h
-WOT 152km\h @8850-8900rpm
Belt does not appear to be slipping. Clutch is not right hot or black.
Hate to put more weight in the tip as I feel it will not help the top end rpm. Was thinking about moving the back spring from 6-1 to 3-3?
What’s everyone’s thoughts?

How was the traction. If on hard surface it will bang limiter.
The 1.6 track is bad for traction from a stop or rolling slow.
I had a 14 viper xtx turbo for 3 years. I would change your mid 3/8 aluminum for 3/8 steel and put 3/8 steel with 1 thin washer in tip. That should help control the rpms a little better. But if you want you can try 3-3 first before changing weights. I my self liked the backshift better at 6-1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How was the traction. If on hard surface it will bang limiter.
The 1.6 track is bad for traction from a stop or rolling slow.
I had a 14 viper xtx turbo for 3 years. I would change your mid 3/8 aluminum for 3/8 steel and put 3/8 steel with 1 thin washer in tip. That should help control the rpms a little better. But if you want you can try 3-3 first before changing weights. I my self liked the backshift better at 6-1.

Shag I spun my track on Ice at 115mph indicated on speedo till it hooked up and dropped all the way to 60 or so and never touched rev limiter. Keep hearing from people banging rev limiter and I refer them all to you or NosPro since I dont know anything about your kit. I do know it should not happen.

Thanks for the input guys
Im studded and traction is good. If I take like a second to go from 1/4 to full throttle it’s fine. Doesn’t hit limiter and pulls nice. But if you punch it it almost instantly starts bouncing of the limiter, then it settles down. But even giving a shot to launch of a rise or a drift and its hitting it.
I can try the back clutch and if that don’t work I’ll change the weights to your recommendation.
I see people talking on here that the gates belt helps lower the rpm, but I’d be worried about how that would effect my wide open rpm?

Thanks for the input guys
Im studded and traction is good. If I take like a second to go from 1/4 to full throttle it’s fine. Doesn’t hit limiter and pulls nice. But if you punch it it almost instantly starts bouncing of the limiter, then it settles down. But even giving a shot to launch of a rise or a drift and its hitting it.
I can try the back clutch and if that don’t work I’ll change the weights to your recommendation.
I see people talking on here that the gates belt helps lower the rpm, but I’d be worried about how that would effect my wide open rpm?

You can also adjust the heel. Pull 3/4 out put 1/4 in tight then install 3/4 on top. After doing this make sure weight swings all the way out. What belt are you running. How many miles on it.

The original 8jp with 2700km on it. I have a new one with me and was going to install it first thing in the morning and try it before I make any changes.
Will the extra weight in the heal slow down on how quick it builds the revs?

The original 8jp with 2700km on it. I have a new one with me and was going to install it first thing in the morning and try it before I make any changes.
Will the extra weight in the heal slow down on how quick it builds the revs?

Yes extra in heel will help revs. 8 jp belts loose performance the longer you run them. New belt will help. Make sure you break it in easy for 30 miles or so. I ran gates carbon on my viper and was very happy with them. They also last longer. If you do try the gates do not set deflection above the edge of secondary. Keep it 1/16” below.

I’m getting he same “problem” Gates carbon 8JP and buried a 1/4 under the 3/4 in the heel. With ideal conditions it taps the limiter twice and settles to 8700 and creeps to 8800 on long pulls. Love the setup otherwise! Factory weights were always banging the limiter like crazy out of the hole. I agree the Cobra 1.6 doesn’t get the best traction out of the hole, my Phazer with a Freeride 1.5x144 actually out holeshots it just due to better traction. My Phazer never hits the limiter unless the track leaves the ground!

I’m getting he same “problem” Gates carbon 8JP and buried a 1/4 under the 3/4 in the heel. With ideal conditions it taps the limiter twice and settles to 8700 and creeps to 8800 on long pulls. Love the setup otherwise! Factory weights were always banging the limiter like crazy out of the hole. I agree the Cobra 1.6 doesn’t get the best traction out of the hole, my Phazer with a Freeride 1.5x144 actually out holeshots it just due to better traction. My Phazer never hits the limiter unless the track leaves the ground!

The lugs fold over on the 1.6. We have a 15 xtx le that rides with us and it’s always into the limiter with the 2 1/4 track also. But only when it spins. It’s not usually a belt slip issue. Our kit puts a lot of power to the ground and the track spins. Even with studs. You can solve it with a helix change but I always try to without first. Performance also goes up with helix. But I don’t like people having to spend more money.

Back