• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who wears an electric shield?

Irv

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 40th Anniversary Vector.
1995 XLT SP (Son's)
Looking for a new helmet but unsure of what to get and if I should go electric shield or try these newer styles with better ventilation, breath box and double lens?

I am tired of wearing a No-Fog mask, they work great but I hate having to adjust it every time I put my helmet on!

Those of you who use an electric shield, how did you wire it up, did you use the accessory plug and some sort of an adaptor or did you wire it up seperately?

I get a new modular/electric every year, they are cheap and work mint, give old one to buddies, never had a no fog bpr etc. find it hard to believe they work as well

monte1214 said:
- With your bad habit Irv, you should go to a flip up with an electric shield on it.

- Same as mine! ;)

Hopefully that bad habit will be a thing of the past soon John?

I also don't trust the modular's, just can't see them holding together in a crash???

Ragdoll said he bought an adaptor for his shield, plug it into his accessory outlet.
To me, it looks to far forward and would maybe interfere with the handle bars??

I've been using an electric visor for 6 years and love it....nothing worse than a fogging/icing visor...highly recommended!

When wiring it up, have a male/female splice some where in the cord so that in the event you become dislodged from the sled, it will pull apart and not rip the cord in two. Been there did that.

I've been using them for 10+ years and I won't ride without one. I made my own cig plug to RCA adapter and used that for a while but it would wiggle itself out and lose the connection so I picked up a Kimpex $10 kit that includes the RCA plug with cover. Although it comes with lots of wiring, I just spliced into the existing accessory plug since it's switched and I didn't feel like running wire to wherever. I looks like it was installed at the factory.

The only thing though is that electric shields are useless to those that wear glasses, which is a problem for my wife.

Attachments

• Plug.jpg
    Plug.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 2,373
Irv said:
monte1214 said:
- With your bad habit Irv, you should go to a flip up with an electric shield on it.

- Same as mine! ;)

Hopefully that bad habit will be a thing of the past soon John?

I also don't trust the modular's, just can't see them holding together in a crash???

Ragdoll said he bought an adaptor for his shield, plug it into his accessory outlet.
To me, it looks to far forward and would maybe interfere with the handle bars??

I work in an Emergency Department and I can tell you I have had more than one person with a head injury who came in with a modular helment split in two. I would never ever wear one again...

To answer your original question.... I LOVE MY HEATED SHIELD. I have tried every type of antifog shield on the market, I had antifog cloths from the army that were supposed to be the best and nothing works when the temp drops too low. I always thought the cord from the heated shield would drive me nuts but once I got one... WOW... I'll never ride without an electric shield again.

Mooseman said:
I've been using them for 10+ years and I won't ride without one. I made my own cig plug to RCA adapter and used that for a while but it would wiggle itself out and lose the connection so I picked up a Kimpex $10 kit that includes the RCA plug with cover. Although it comes with lots of wiring, I just spliced into the existing accessory plug since it's switched and I didn't feel like running wire to wherever. I looks like it was installed at the factory.

The only thing though is that electric shields are useless to those that wear glasses, which is a problem for my wife.

You had to do all that wiring with the Kimpex adaptor?

I thought there was something similar to your pic that you just plugged into your accessory outlet?

I have an HJC IS-16 Scratch with electric shield. Only problem I have had is the yamaha 12v plug does not stay in securely for some reason, and I have blown fuses if I let the pug end touch snow or metal. Otherwise it works a hell of a lot better than my hand warmers, lol.

It has an integral sun shade that comes down easily with gloves (there are many other colors of shade to pick from. Ventilation is above average, and the electric visor does its part, just have to keep an eye on that 12v plug.

Attachments

• New Replacement Helmet HJC IS-16..jpg
    New Replacement Helmet HJC IS-16..jpg
    5 KB · Views: 2,361
Have GMax modular with electric shield. The electric shield is the way to go regardless of helmut type.

04JRB said:
I have an HJC IS-16 Scratch with electric shield. Only problem I have had is the yamaha 12v plug does not stay in securely for some reason, and I have blown fuses if I let the pug end touch snow or metal. Otherwise it works a hell of a lot better than my hand warmers, lol.

It has an integral sun shade that comes down easily with gloves (there are many other colors of shade to pick from. Ventilation is above average, and the electric visor does its part, just have to keep an eye on that 12v plug.

I am currently looking at a HJC Surge helmet with an electric shield, glad to hear your happy with your Scratch helmet(haven't written that model off yet)
I can get the Surge for $340 CDN out the door which seems like a decent price even if I was to buy in the U.S.(duty, tax's, shipping etc)

What did you pay for your Yamaha adaptor? Curious as well why it doesn't stay in?
http://www.upnorthsports.com/Product/pr ... 58&pc=2110

Electric Shield

Have used one for years..wouldn't be without it especially here in Manitoba -20-40'c!
BRP dont work 100% as I ride with friends who use them and they still fog and are $400+. Plus every time you stop your mouthpice is a solid ice chunk of spit etc!

Back