• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who wears an electric shield?

i have had good luck with hjc cl-12 and cl-15 with heated sheilds. -40c out and my glasses do not fog up in the cl-15/csair. had probelm with the cl12 but sold that one after i bought cl15. going to try a cl max modular this winter.

Irv said:
You had to do all that wiring with the Kimpex adaptor?

I thought there was something similar to your pic that you just plugged into your accessory outlet?

No, I actually drilled a hole and permanently mounted it right next to the accessory outlet. What you're thinking of is the adapter available from Yamaha:
http://yamaha-motor.ca/accessories/accessory_details.php?item=1624&group=S&model=1991

Was not going to pay $43.95 for that so I made my own. Then I switched to the permanent plug.

Mooseman said:
Irv said:
You had to do all that wiring with the Kimpex adaptor?

I thought there was something similar to your pic that you just plugged into your accessory outlet?

No, I actually drilled a hole and permanently mounted it right next to the accessory outlet. What you're thinking of is the adapter available from Yamaha:
http://yamaha-motor.ca/accessories/accessory_details.php?item=1624&group=S&model=1991

Was not going to pay $43.95 for that so I made my own. Then I switched to the permanent plug.

Thanks for the info and link, that "IS" one pricey adaptor but I do have a feeling it would be (or should be) a lot better than an after market one?

I would stay away from the lighter plug adapter. I had one (not the yamaha one) and it would come out with the vibrations and bumbs on the trail.

I love my E shields, have both the HJC CL12 over ten years old works great and a new to me HJC CL 15 and love that as well.

Before you spend money or time on a plug try this, I love it. I run the female end of the cable out through the steering post opening, secure it with black zip tie with a couple of inches of play. Then when I ride with the E shield I run that cord either in my jacket or between the double zipper layers so the cord comes out at the bottom of your zipper. Now the cord is never in your way, not flopping around, and if you get off or fall off the cord just unplugs and no harm no foul.

Every year I really want to buy BVS2 but then I can't see why when my HJC heat shields work so well.

Yamadoo

yamahas said:
I would stay away from the lighter plug adapter. I had one (not the yamaha one) and it would come out with the vibrations and bumbs on the trail.

The only alternative to the adaptor is to hard wire it in, which, being as I am electrically inept, might be a difficult task for me?

My XLT came equiped with one but I never used it. I believe it is always on or always has power when you plug your shield in?

Is that how I would wire up my Vector?
Any info/links/pics of wiring one up available?
Thanks

Irv said:
yamahas said:

The only alternative to the adaptor is to hard wire it in, which, being as I am electrically inept, might be a difficult task for me?

My XLT came equiped with one but I never used it. I believe it is always on or always has power when you plug your shield in?

Thanks

I hooked mine up right at the battery andthe female end come out at the handle bars. And never had an issue.
I will be installing a fuse this year though just to be on the afe side just not sure what fuse to use.

yamadoo said:
I love my E shields, have both the HJC CL12 over ten years old works great and a new to me HJC CL 15 and love that as well.

Before you spend money or time on a plug try this, I love it. I run the female end of the cable out through the steering post opening, secure it with black zip tie with a couple of inches of play. Then when I ride with the E shield I run that cord either in my jacket or between the double zipper layers so the cord comes out at the bottom of your zipper. Now the cord is never in your way, not flopping around, and if you get off or fall off the cord just unplugs and no harm no foul.

Every year I really want to buy BVS2 but then I can't see why when my HJC heat shields work so well.

Yamadoo

That's a good idea but I didn't think the cord would be long enough to do this?
Are most/all cords the same length?

yamahas said:
Irv said:
yamahas said:

Thanks

I hooked mine up right at the battery andthe female end come out at the handle bars. And never had an issue.
I will be installing a fuse this year though just to be on the afe side just not sure what fuse to use.

I assume the female end and wire your referring to doesn't come with the e-shield or does it?

Where do I purchase those

Started using an electric one a few years ago and will never go back. They work great.

Irv said:
yamahas said:
Irv said:
yamahas said:

Thanks

I assume the female end and wire your referring to doesn't come with the e-shield or does it?

The female end wire with the battery terminals on the other end comes with the e-shield in all of my past experiences. It should also come with the 2 male end that plugs into your visor then also into the female end that would come out of sled at the handle bars.

yamahas said:
Irv said:
yamahas said:
Irv said:
yamahas said:

Thanks

The female end wire with the battery terminals on the other end comes with the e-shield in all of my past experiences. It should also come with the 2 male end that plugs into your visor then also into the female end that would come out of sled at the handle bars.

Thanks ;)!

Think I am going to get that HJC Surge helmet with the electric shield, it fits me great and feels real comfortable when I try it on.
I also like the fact it is Snell approved.

Appreciate all the help guy's ;)!

I have 08 apex i bought the new swith that yamaha has on the handle bar mad a pug so i could plug in the accessories plug I got the ends from a yamaha outboad dealer and spiled it in sorry for spelling

I too did not want to pay the big $$$ for the adapter. I checked with a BRP dealer and got my adapter there which also came with all the wire/cord you need. (Just another option)
As for wearing glasses, I too wear glasses. I use a BPR modular II helmet with an E-shield. I have not had any problems fogging, but one day it was really cold and raining/drizzling. It did freeze up at one pointwhen we stopped for a bit but I scraped it off the one time and had no problems after that.

Back