• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

03 skid rebuild finished

madforR1s

Veteran
After weeks of waiting for parts, and learning my way around wrenching on a sled , my skid is finally rebuilt. What a PITA! A little history: I am new to sledding and bought a 03 Rx1 with 15,000 klms (9000 miles) on the clock (hey the price was right). As you can guess, the skid was in rough shape. I replaced all the bushings, a couple shafts, all of the suspension and idler wheels, and a new W arm.

Thank goodness for this web-site and all the fine information here, otherwise I would have given up on this project. Releasing the control arms to install the skid worked like a charm. A special thanks to Lazy Bastard and his suspension settings that clued me into some of the geometry involved in sled set ups. Way different than sportbike set ups (duh). Only a few more things to do and I am ready for some snow :D

Attachments

• skid2.jpg
    skid2.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 117
  • skid1.jpg
    skid1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 116

Nice job on the skid! I hate to give bad news though...but for what you invested in rebuilding your stock skid, especially the W arm, you could have had a Cat skid...or SC10III...or even aftermarket. For much cheaper than a stock replacement W arm (mine broke), I installed a Cat skid...and will never regret it. Much better ride, easier adjustments, and much better transfer.

Jim

Yeah, this was a work in progress. I ordered a few parts, then the more I tore in to the project the more worn parts I found. In for a penny, in for a pound :o| I was half way through when I started to realize if I had put up another $800-900, I could have gone after market. On the bright side of things, I got a real education on rebuilding, adjusting and maintaining skids. Took the mystery right out of it :shock:

Well mechanical things are a learning experience, and you at least have the peace of mind of knowing you have a nice, new skid under the rear of your sled. The nice thing about these sleds is that the engines last about forever (with the exception of a few issues), and the chassis's are rock solid. So you should have a sled ready for another 9000 miles.

Jim

Back