• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 apex hard starting

leepster

Extreme
Ok, so here is what I got. I have a 06 apex rtx, I have owned it since new. Last year I had the code 12 problem and I replaced the crankshaft sensor only, sensor from rz stator, i think. It was fine all last year. I have only rode a few times this year. Last saturday my neighbor and I went to go riding and my sled would not start, cranked over fine and would pop through the intake and backfire out of the exhaust, but would not start. Now it had sat outside for a week. I got into the heated garage and let it sit for a couple hours, went out to start diagnosing it and it started right up. So I rode about 20 miles or so and parked it outside for the last 2 days. Tonight I went out to start it and it seemed to crank a little long but started. I brought it in the garage tried checking for codes but I see no codes. The service manuel doesn't have anything about intermittent no start with no codes. Anyone have any idea or have this problem? Do I need to get the 300 dollar stator from yamaha? Can the starter solenoid cause this issue? Solenoid is still original. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

It doesnt sound like the starter relay because it turns over just fine.maybe your fuel pump relay is freezing up ? check to see if you hear it ,that would cause the long crank then fire.not a bad idea to have a look at your starter relay they do get corroded. also check your battery ,if its low it will crank but will not fire.it did run and rode it 20miles so its not your plugs.

Sounds like crank sensor for sure! People had problems with ones from rm stator but the issue is not with it malfunctioning just that it sits approx 1mm further away with the mounting holes a little different then Original. You can use s file to open the mounting holes and move sensor just a hair closer and that has been working for me for approx 3000km... Doesn't take much and your symptoms are exactly like mine were when my sensor was failing. I did use one from rm but had issues until I moved it a hair closer.. If you still have orginal sensor put it on and measure clearance and try to ensure new one is same.

Back