• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'06 Apex in cool street car...how to clear codes when wiring all modified? Anyone? Lg wires for thumb and Yr for grip

No idea, I don't have that schematic or service manual. What year is this?

In the 06 service manual, under grip warmer system, that wire does nothing. As previously stated, if you are having a performance problem, the grip warmer codes can be ignored. The only codes that matter are the sensors related to fuel/air/timing. To clear the codes, wire up a switch as shown in the diagrams.

Looks like a fun project. When the low fuel light comes on it will show miles traveled on cluster since low fuel light comes on. Looks like that is what is going on in your video.

OK, here's a question...should the engine behave with the airbox off (and not throw new codes) as in this photo? The reason I ask is because that's basically the way I have it with the screens on the rubber trumpets and the 2 hoses (filtered) and the sensor on a mount near the intake but obviously not "in the box".

Attachments

• DSCF7101.JPG
    DSCF7101.JPG
    169.6 KB · Views: 32
  • NOAIRBOX.jpg
    NOAIRBOX.jpg
    159.5 KB · Views: 39
Clear the codes. Once you clear the codes you can narrow down the problem. For tips on installation in other vehicles you might want to check the airplane forums that use the Yamaha motors. These guys used to make a kit. http://bdturnkeyengines.com/yamaha-apex

The engine doesn't know whether you have an airbox or not. But, if those codes are persistent and not just left over from some other time, then you are not going to get a clean running engine without addressing those sensors. The only thing I can say is that all of those sensors share common connections, you may want to go through your ground harness. But clear the codes.

The valve assembly on top of the engine appears to be deleted in the airplane photos...what's it's purpose/function and can it be bypassed for warm weather application?

Attachments

• apex2.jpg
    apex2.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 39
Clear the codes. Once you clear the codes you can narrow down the problem. For tips on installation in other vehicles you might want to check the airplane forums that use the Yamaha motors. These guys used to make a kit. http://bdturnkeyengines.com/yamaha-apex

The engine doesn't know whether you have an airbox or not. But, if those codes are persistent and not just left over from some other time, then you are not going to get a clean running engine without addressing those sensors. The only thing I can say is that all of those sensors share common connections, you may want to go through your ground harness. But clear the codes.
Trying to figure out why you're stuck on clearing the codes?
Only active codes are displayed.
The machine code have every code that exists stored, but as long as none are displayed while running(active) it will run perfect.

Trying to figure out why you're stuck on clearing the codes?
Only active codes are displayed.
The machine code have every code that exists stored, but as long as none are displayed while running(active) it will run perfect.

Because he is complaining that it isn't running off idle.

"Starts and idles fine, but when I try to raise the RPM it start to surge and misfire."

I am just passing along what I would do, wire in a switch to clear the codes and figure out what the engine is really complaining about.

Last edited:
Because he is complaining that it isn't running off idle.

"Starts and idles fine, but when I try to raise the RPM it start to surge and misfire."

I am just passing along what I would do, wire in a switch to clear the codes and figure out what the engine is really complaining about.
The engine will only complain about active codes.
:)

OK, here's a question...should the engine behave with the airbox off (and not throw new codes) as in this photo? The reason I ask is because that's basically the way I have it with the screens on the rubber trumpets and the 2 hoses (filtered) and the sensor on a mount near the intake but obviously not "in the box".
If you have no airbox and have significantly changed the exhaust that alone could cause it to surge or lean pop and not rev out. Lots of things could cause those problems. Do you know for sure that TORS is bypassed?

82 is the computer recognizing that the thumb warmer circuit is open or short, or non existent.
81 is grip warmer circuit.
Therefore those two active codes have nothing to do with the running issue.
The machines fuel mapping is calibrated with the airbox in place which means it may not run properly without it as others have pointed out already.

Back