• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07' APEX Exhaust Anyone build thier own? Want Under tunnel?

Firemann32

Expert
Website
www.swmosportbikes.com
I'm looking to do something with my exhaust but don't want to spend 500+ dollars on a kit.

I'd like to have it exit under the tunnel if at all possible but I'm not opposed to it exiting towards one side or the other.

I have several R1 and 1000RR exhaust cans at my disposal, stock and aftermarket.

Any suggestions or ideas?

If you've done it can you include pics.

You can e-mail me if you don't want the world knowing.

firemann32@hotmail.com

Several have done this using a "cherry bomb" type auto muffler for reportedly < $100. They weld up a collector pipe and connect to the muffler and then just add a tip that sends the exhaust down. There has been some talk, though about adding all the heat under the tunnel causes a lot of ice buildup. Also, there have been counter-comments to that supposition.

I'll do a little searching around and get back to you with a link.

Thanks Gibby. I found it too. I did manage to get side tracked helping someone else. But, you got back with it first. :)

I have done the glass pak under the tunnel exhaust. its easy to do,saves about 20lbs. well worth doing.

I'll put some pics up tomorrow am.

It is louder than stock, more like the sound of a super bike. I still think that this mod is quiter than a 2 stoke.

Cut the exhaust Y off your stock exhaust and weld it directly onto the glass pak muffler. It would be best to have the tail pipe extended futher back out the tunnel to avoid restiction in the deep powder. The exiting gasses melt the snow into a large mass at the pipe end. I have only found this to be a problem at low rpm and low speed combined. Never been a problem in 3' of pow and running WOT. I am extending my tail pipe back about a foot.

Happy Riding
Rob

Attachments

• Dsc00025.jpg
    Dsc00025.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 294
  • Dsc00030.jpg
    Dsc00030.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 310
Seems like if you moved the muffler back too, you would have more heat transferred to the back, resulting in less snow and ice build up. Just a thought. Not really sure.

Well I built my own undertunnel exhaust. I used an old can off one of my sport bikes, This paticular can was an M4 with a 2" inlet, it had also been cut down from 18"s to 14"s for track days.

I sliced the Y off the stock system and took it to a muffler shop and had them weld it, since I'm not a welder. Also had them cut off the outlet and reattach it facing down.

I used a piece of 1" aluminium strapping to make a holder and used two existing holes in the tunnel.

The tunnel cover and seat mount are to detailed to go into but I will tell you this I do not have any metl working tools besides a set of tin snips, grinder and various outher "normal" construction tools so I feel pretty good about how it all came out. I had all year to do this but of course I waited until 3 weeks before I leave to start it and with my work schedule and the holidays I'm pretty impressed with how it came out.

Attachments

• Sled Exhaust 7.jpg
    Sled Exhaust 7.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 309
  • Sled Exhaust 6.jpg
    Sled Exhaust 6.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 318
  • Sled Exhaust 5.jpg
    Sled Exhaust 5.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 320
  • Sled Exhaust 4.jpg
    Sled Exhaust 4.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 278
  • Sled Exhaust 3.jpg
    Sled Exhaust 3.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 277
  • Sled Exhaust 2.jpg
    Sled Exhaust 2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 314
  • Sled Exhaust 1.jpg
    Sled Exhaust 1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 300
So how loud is a cut down can that was used on the track?

The reason I ask is: Been listening to excessively loud sleds all day ripping down the trail. Won't be long and the neighbors will be talking to the township government, again. Then the cops will be handing out tickets, again. Then we'll be fighting to use the trail next year, again.

Or, did you say you were keeping that cut down can on the track. Maybe I missed that someplace?

Nice metal work though. Good job!

It's no louder than my R1 street bike, I know that doesn't help much. I really can't tell that it's all that much louder in all seriousness. Maybe because the tunnel damping it some. Thats one reason I didn't go the "Cherry Bomb" route.

We ride in the mountains exclusivly and I know for sure it's no louder than some of the 2 strokers I've seen out there.

Thanks ;)!

Back