• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 Apex mountain vs. 03 RX-1 vs. 08 Ski-Doo Summit

Koeckman

Extreme
Hey there fellow mountain riders. I was on this website a long time back when I bought into the whole 4 stroke RX-1 craze in 2003. Now I am looking hard at getting back on a Yamaha but have a few hesitations and am looking for some comments. Ideally I'd like to find some experienced hardcore mountain riders who recently switched over to the Apex from other brands of mountain sleds as most hardcore Yamaha riders are diehards and have never owned anything else to compare them to and really talk them up. I live in Alaska where mountain riding is required and the best in the world, I love it steep and deep.

After the RX-1 I was really disappointed on a number of levels and almost immediately sold it and went back to an 04 then an 05 Ski-Doo 800 Summit X. I didn't like the engine brake, I didn't like the lack ofmemory on the hand and thumb warmers and I really didn't like the bad track ratcheting. This year I am ready to buy another new sled and the 08 Summit is looking pretty enticing, but I've heard some really good things about the Apex and has re-newed my interest in Yamaha and the 4 stroke craze. I here there are not many changes on the 08's from the 07's so I will probably end up on a 07 given the end of year price savings that way I can still pick up Phazer as well if I go back to Yamaha.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutlely loved the reliability and power of my RX-1, especially on the flat lands. It was the baddest thing on the snow, but once you got off the trail, on any hill or in any powder it was an absolute dog. I had spent tons of money and valuable riding time trying to lighten up the machine, trying to make it a better mountain machine, with no real success and a lot of money spent. It was the worst sidehilling machine I've ever owned, and I swore I'd never own another, but now I hear the 07-08 Apex's are awsome machines to own. I could never argue the power and reliability but am skepical as they still seem fairly heavy to me. The dealers tell me they are still a little heavy, but ride more like a traditional machine. Is there any truth to that?

Anybody with any valuable comments feel free to reply, as I can use any information available to make this tough decision when it comes to switching back to the awsome Yamaha 4 strokes or staying with the light and easy riding Ski-Doo's. Thanks in advance for all your much appreciated comments.

If I were you I would check out the Mountain Nytro. I think it would do better in the deep stuff than the apex. Welcome to the site by the way! :4STroke:

I have the apex and i love it, especially with boost. It can go anywhere, ride with the big sleds, and pull a sidehill with ease. It is a well balanced sled that flat out works in all conditions when stock. I surprised many of my buddies that all ride other brands when it was stock, they couldnt believe how easy it was to ride and sidehill compared to the ol rx's. I would recommend it to anyone. Now on the other hand the new nytro is all of that and more. It pulls harder than the old rx's and is a flyweight too. The motor just feels stronger than what it is advertised at. Being the new rider forward design it is more maneuverable than the apex, even easier to diehill, accelerates faster, yes i said faster, and gets better mileage. If it were my desicion to buy a sled again this year and i had to choose between the nytro mtn and the apex mtn it would be the nytro, its that fun!!! They are reasonably priced and as you know the fit and finish along with the dependability will be awesome. Hope this helps but if not its just my .02 cents.
apexfix001.jpg

:yam:

I hear alot crickets in the MTN Apex threads.
Doesnt anybody like theirs? I bought a 2007 and got to ride it on the trail for just a few miles.

I got to ride a stock apex for a day and fell in love. If i was not adding boost to my RX1 i would be on an apex without a problem. seemed to do everything my modded RX1 did lots easier and climbed higher.

You may want to look at a Nytro MTX. 80 lbs lighter than the apex when gassed up, less engine braking and lighter feeling and handling chassis than the apex. That would take care of all of your main rx1 complaints. Slightly better hp to lbs ratio than the apex too.

I hated my RX-M initially, the more I rode the more I loved it though. Now with many mods (lightweight, 162" track) the sled is a blast, I had considered the Apex Mtn but I don't want to start ripping a sled apart to end up where I am now. The Nytro MTX interests me very much, considered snow checking seriously. But I want more power (185 hp?) not less so I don't think it's my choice at this time! Maybe next year!

I have riden an Apex Mtn since they first came out and the sled absolutlely blew my expectations away. It is far easier to handle than the old RX1. Don't let the weight scare you I jumped on this sled after riding an old MMax, I used to get stuck on occation on the old MM and I just don't get stuck anymore period and I'm a seasoned rider.

To you guys that think the Nytro is going to be better in the steep and deep I beg to differ there is NO WAY that the 153x15 track is going to be as good as the 162x16 track on the Apex. Stock for stock the Apex with be better in the steep and deep, that huge track has a lot to do with how good it is.

Squeeze the Apex track under the Nytro and it may just out do the Apex.

Oh and yes the Apex has engine braking and the Nytro does not, you just have to learn to use the throttle no more snapping the throttle closed and coasting like you are used to on your 2 strokes. You need to finesse the throttle.

Back