• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 Phazer oil leak????

bullfrog123

Ok, new to this forum, how's everyone??

Have an 07 MTX with 217 miles and now has developed a mystery oil leak.
Did all preseason checks and routine stuff as usual, things looked good.
1st ride out, (my 10yr old daughter), and the other 4 of the fam went to grandparents for x-mas on the sleds, only 20 miles round trip. Got home and chaincase was bout dry, had trail of oil into the shop.
So... top that and engine oil off, (it was 1/2 qt low), rode last Sat (10-15 mi), no leaks that we could see. Parked it in shop for 3 days and have oil leak the size of paper plate.
Check all fluids again........here's where it gets weird...... all oils are up to snuff. Have checked with guys on Snowest and Snow and Mud sites and they are baffled too. 1 guy thinks maybe 2 seals in gearcase, but teardown is aprox 5hrs.

Would put pics up but am confused as to how.

Any other help is much appreciated fellas!!!! Thanks Frogger.

Hope the pics work....

Btw, oil is coming from inside the tunnel up by the front cooler. Driveshaft seal is dry. 1st pic can't see much, sorry.

Frogger.

Attachments

• Phazer oil leak 001 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    Phazer oil leak 001 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 849
  • Phazer oil leak 002 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    Phazer oil leak 002 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 429
Should also state that I am a Cat guy and just got 2 Phazers last spring for my kids. They kept burnin down the old 580 EXT's. So far these 4 strokers are a kick in the arse!!!!!!! Great sled to ride, just hard to work on.

Frogger

They have not been on their side have they? When they get flopped over or rolled the oil tank breather vents to the airbox and then it drips out towards the belly pan and comes out on the shop floor. This I know from experience. It is often enough oil lost to trip the low oil light, depending on how long it was inverted. Also when you change the oil, I swear no matter how hard you try to clean out below the oil filter it drips for days.

That does not sound fun. By the way I like you blurb at the bottom of your posts. Those idiot Feds just released wolves in the majority of central and eastern washington. I would love to know who makes such stupid decisions.

Upper chain case seal. There is a splash guard in the gear box that slings gear box oil on the top bearing. There is a seal right there that will cause that leak. I know I had the exact problem and I just fix it! Its not that tough to repair or take it back to the dealer if it is under warranty.

Ok, think I found the issue. 4 hr teardown and the jackshaft seal on the gearbox was toast, and the gasket mating gearcase to frame was also shot. Going to replace all o-rings, gaskets, seals and the grommet that holds the oil feed tube to gearcase! Don't ever want to take that thing back apart!!!!!!! Not hard, but just a royal PITA!!!!

Attachments

• Phazer seal 001 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    Phazer seal 001 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 312
  • Phazer seal 002 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    Phazer seal 002 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    429 KB · Views: 405
  • Phazer seal 003 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    Phazer seal 003 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 332
  • Phazer seal 004 (1536 x 1152).jpg
    Phazer seal 004 (1536 x 1152).jpg