• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

08 Vector - help a guy sleep tonight ?

mebelee

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2010 Yamaha Vector GT
2008 Yamaha Vector GT
2020 Yamaha SnoScoot
1979 Arctic Cat Pantera
1974 Chaparral SSX
1997 Polaris Ultra SPX SE
Need to adjust steering on the shaft that is on the bottom of the column.
Damned impossible to reach , but I figured it out....I think??
The nut's 14mm but what size is the flat on the rod?
I'll no doubt have to order one special.
I have a 10.5" long 9/16.
Like to put this one to bed
Think SNOW!

usually it would be a 10 mm or 12 mm witch there is a thin one usually in the tool kit. been awhile since i did one though.

Thanks for the help! But as usual, when I get help it usually turns out to be a "thorn" I don't have a LONG 10 or 12mm and as I see it, it'd be impossible to get a std length wrench (from the tool kit) down in there. Now at least I know what size it is...I'll have to buy one. And then I can finish up.
Thanks!

What adjustments do you need to make to the steering shaft? Just curious. Thank you.
No need to thank me...The short turnbuckle shaft off of the steering post's bellcrank.The steerin has a lot of play in it. Need to make the shaft shorter. Even tried to take off the ball joint. Got it off bu then could not clear the bulkhead to removeit.
Hence...methinks I need super long wrenches to get the hell in there....Ordered a MAC long #*$&@ 9/16 for the nut, but now I'll need a long 10 or 12 to hold the shaft.

Got it. My 2008 has a lot of steering play as well, but I don't notice it so much when riding on the trail so I just let it be.

if you pull the seat and gas tank, it is easy to get at the one on the bell crank.

if you pull the seat and gas tank, it is easy to get at the one on the bell crank.
hmmmm..is that a bucket of worms???
What will I break by removing the seat
I have the back wayy up, just put on slides.
Do I WANT to do that???

it is not that bad usually. based on my experiance with rx sleds, you need to pull exh tips, muffler panel/light assembly to get to the seat bolts. it then slides back and after you unplug the wiring harness at the front of the seat for the light, the seat is off. then the fuel tank shroud has to come off its mounts/filler neck. does not have to be fully removed if it goes high enough to slide fuel tank out. then you take off the fuel lines to the tank from the pumps and vent line. then you should be able to unbolt the rear of the tank and slide it out of the way to get to your steering linkage.

i would reccomend new fuel filters in the tank as it looks like it sat a lot and i have come across a few that rotted in 1/2 and contaminated the fuel system as i ran the sled before i found the issue.

it is not that bad usually. based on my experiance with rx sleds, you need to pull exh tips, muffler panel/light assembly to get to the seat bolts. it then slides back and after you unplug the wiring harness at the front of the seat for the light, the seat is off. then the fuel tank shroud has to come off its mounts/filler neck. does not have to be fully removed if it goes high enough to slide fuel tank out. then you take off the fuel lines to the tank from the pumps and vent line. then you should be able to unbolt the rear of the tank and slide it out of the way to get to your steering linkage.

i would reccomend new fuel filters in the tank as it looks like it sat a lot and i have come across a few that rotted in 1/2 and contaminated the fuel system as i ran the sled before i found the issue.
Well....I've always been one to learn something new, so I'll do the seat thing today, else it'll be stuck in my craw forEVER ! Thanks for the advise on the filters - changed them - and the pumps and the carbs and the plugs ...wouldn't run off idle - turns out carb boots were all leaky - changed them too. Need to do a final carb sync yet, and then with the steering done all she'll need is snow !

Took the seat off 1/2way then decided that it would be too hard? Finished it up ez ,PZ, got one side of the shaft loose the other one is soaking in Sili-Kroil.
Wish me luck.
Tx for the advise...it was rather easy...

Took the seat off 1/2way then decided that it would be too hard? Finished it up ez ,PZ, got one side of the shaft loose the other one is soaking in Sili-Kroil.
Wish me luck.
Tx for the advise...it was rather easy...
So...FINALLY able to work on the bell crank shaft.The flat on the shaft is 11mm. The nuts 14.The nuts are one LH and one RH. Soooo.. got the bell crank side nut loose...the wrench moved toward the front of the sled (up) to loosen (LH or RH I dunno) ...so then the "other" end of the shaft, the wrench should.. move toward the back of the sled (down) to loosen?? RIGHT??? It's tight as hell dont wannna strip it???? Even tried a modified 14mm flare wrench. Patience is a virtue, but I'm anxious... dunno how many ergs I need to apply. Heat??

So...FINALLY able to work on the bell crank shaft.The flat on the shaft is 11mm. The nuts 14.The nuts are one LH and one RH. Soooo.. got the bell crank side nut loose...the wrench moved toward the front of the sled (up) to loosen (LH or RH I dunno) ...so then the "other" end of the shaft, the wrench should.. move toward the back of the sled (down) to loosen?? RIGHT??? It's tight as hell dont wannna strip it???? Even tried a modified 14mm flare wrench. Patience is a virtue, but I'm anxious... dunno how many ergs I need to apply. Heat??

If the ends are mirror images of each other with the opposite thread (LH vs RH), the wrench will move in the same direction on the other end.

hmmm...I would have broken it, Tx !

Back