• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 rhino 700 clunking noise from frt diff

akrhino

I have a 2009 rhino 700 and I have some issues with clunking/banging noise coming from frt diff area I believe. It only does in in 4wd. This happed a year ago and I brought it in and the dealer said that front actuator/servo jumped time. They also stated that gears were chewed up a bit so they flipped the gear around. Not long after I got it back it started again. I have been limping it along through the winter and I plow with it and it has progessively gotten worse so I finally got to tearing the front end apart and I have to say I can not see anything wrong in the front differential. The gear that meshes with the servo as all the way to the left when I pulled the servo and it was in 2wd and from what information I can find that sounds correct. The front drive shaft is solid I can not see any problems with either side. The ujoints all feel solid and move freely. Needless to say I am confused. It only makes the noise when in 4wd not in 2wd.

2ndly I have a hunterworks kit and I have to say this thing just does not have power on the low end. Get to 20 or so and it takes off. Any ideas what I can do there?

Thank you

how much play is in the slip yoke? had to replace the shaft on my uncles quad because of that. it would clunk/bang/snap under load.

Well it only happens under load but the yokes feel pretty solid front and back and I can not see any wear marks on the shaft or the yoke splines.

I sure thought how often this was happening that it would be real obvious.

could be a front axle shaft binding too if it does it more when turning.

It's down to a cv or the slip joint in the front drive line will be to doing some more testing after reassemble everything but we still have snow here in Alaska and I am still playing in the white stuff but wheelin time is coming soon.

You figure out your issue. I had a similar issue in my 09. It turned out to be the front drive shaft slipping. Dealer thought servo motor, front diff, ecu. I took the video to show them the sound then we were able to reproduce it at the shop. You could see other drive shaft slipping . It's documented over on Rhino forums but heres the youtube video
http://youtu.be/qSfiNgpP0ik

As for more bottom end torque apperently hunter works has a new sheave that will help with the bottom end. I have the JBS or hotrod sheave again more info about him and the sheave at Rhino forums. The JBS sheave helps with the bottom end alot. I can spin the tires all day now.

Back