• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 RS Venture Starting Issue

stomper

TY 4 Stroke Master
My buddy has a 2009 RS venture carb model. It will not start. It used to light up the gauge pod and cycle the speedometer needle when the key is turned on but now it doesn’t. No power at all. He has checked the fuses up on the left hand side of the engine compartment and they look fine. He has also changed the start relay and still nothing. Are there some other places to look for fuses or other issues that may be possible fixes.

Last edited:

Obvious questions:
When was it last started?
Battery condition?
It will not turn over at all?
Did it simply "die" on the trail at one point and will no longer start?

Battery is fine
Obvious questions:
When was it last started?
Battery condition?
It will not turn over at all?
Did it simply "die" on the trail at one point and will no longer start?
It was running fine a couple weeks before this happened. He started it to go for a ride and it ran for a few seconds and died and now all he hears is the click of the start relay and it will not turn over. Battery checks out fine and has been fully charged and checks out good with a load test and still no start. He even tried boosting it.

Or starter solenoid. Try jumping the two posts on the solenoid.

sounding like starter more and more. reccomend doing the solenoid at the same time as it might have stuck and fried/finished off the starter.

If it’s the starter wouldn’t the gauge pod still power up and the Speedometer needle still cycle when the key is turned on. I know it has been mentioned that the carb models don’t do this but he has driven the sled for the past 6 or 7 years so I’m pretty sure he knows if this happens or not.

And if it's lighting the gauge and cycling the tach, it's a FI 1049, not 973 carb.

So, one of two things your buddy is dead wrong on, is either what engine is in his Venture, or his memory. The 973 carb models absolutely do NOT light and cycle until the engine is running.

Like already stated, try jumping the starter relay terminals. If nothing, the starter is dead.

You know what, there is a way to get the speedometer on a carbed Vector to cycle and light up without turning the engine on. I read this on here years ago, and it worked! I don't recall the exact procedure, but I think it involved holding down thumb, hand warmers...whatever it was, it did indeed work!

You know what, there is a way to get the speedometer on a carbed Vector to cycle and light up without turning the engine on. I read this on here years ago, and it worked! I don't recall the exact procedure, but I think it involved holding down thumb, hand warmers...whatever it was, it did indeed work!
Yeah, hold the thumb warmer down, and keep holding it as you turn the key to "on", and within 5 seconds the pod will light.

replace the starter its a known issue with Yamahas, they used the wrong glue to attach the magnets to the starter wall.

Back