• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 vk pro sputtering/won’t rev out

VKripper

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
09 VK Pro
Hello fellow 4 stroke’ers!
I picked up an 09 vk, 258 miles on odo, practically brand new. It’s been sitting for the past 5 or so years in a garage, and became a mouse colony, vacuumed it all out, changed the starter, starter solinoid, cleaned the carbs, new plugs (store only had CR9E’s), added new gas, changed the oil, new battery, topped up coolant. Fired right up, idles great, runs good up to 5500-6000 but then starts sputtering/spitting out the carbs/backfiring, all while topping out at only 40mph (in high range). What could be causing this? So low miles I’m stumped. Mouse chewed wire? TORS switch is tested and working right up to ecm/ecu, tps on carb is varying resistance (working I think?), I tried jumping the TORS switch and no difference.
Anyone who could share some wisdom/steer me to a helpful post, I would be grateful... thx

VKripper

Did you remove the tps when u cleaned the carbs? if so the tps has to be a certain voltage at a given throttle position and has to be measured in line and adjusted via the screw that hold it in place, there is slots in the switch which allows it to be rotated to get the right voltage reading! cheers!

does the clutch slide freely without the springs on it? sitting that long there is probably corrosion on the shafts where the bushings slide that can cause the clutch to bind and prevent shift out.

could still have crud in the lines that just plugged the carbs again. fuel filter was good too?

does the clutch slide freely without the springs on it? sitting that long there is probably corrosion on the shafts where the bushings slide that can cause the clutch to bind and prevent shift out.

could still have crud in the lines that just plugged the carbs again. fuel filter was good too?

Good point about the clutch, I did run it on a stand with the belt guard off and both clutches look like they're doing their job, but I will check them again. I ran it with the fuel lines sucking from a jerry can and it didn't change anything (so I think the filters are good), had the carbs off for the fourth time today and every orfice is clean! The problem is very consistent...

Did you remove the tps when u cleaned the carbs? if so the tps has to be a certain voltage at a given throttle position and has to be measured in line and adjusted via the screw that hold it in place, there is slots in the switch which allows it to be rotated to get the right voltage reading! cheers!
I did not touch the tps...

i ressurected an old et400 that sat in a guys yard for years to sell. on the stand, the clutches worked ok. under load in the snow, the primary clutch stuck 1/2 closed and would not release. i got the sled to my uncles camp and used a wire brush and a hammer to get it released and working properly. when i did the 2nd one, i cleaned it before i took it out on the snow.

Back