• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

10 More Miles, Broken Again

SoCoRX1

TY 4 Stroke Guru
After we found the initial problem to be a wobbling pulley, the belt looked to be OK running a bigger top pulley at 7lbs of boost. It was running great for about 10 miles. we were going across a meadow to some hillclimbs. Came to a stop and there was an insane clicking sound. Imagine engine pinging but you can hear it 200 feet away. Turned it off, engine was smoking. i thought i blew my engine. tried to turn it over. it turned over but was clicking hard. It would start but was really clicking. Just sounded like bang bang bang i guess. All pulleys looked fine. All belts looked ok. Turned it on, revved it up and it sounded ok with a little bit of a whistle. I pulled it forward about 50 feet. It moved but came to a halt quickly with no brakes. I opened the hood and found the blower belt was burning. Turned the sled on and the top pulley was not moving at all. The noise was the ribs on the belt hitting the bottom pulley. The bottom pulley was moving just burning the ribs off. Top pulley WILL NOT move at all.

So i have almost 15 boosted miles in 2 rides.

Very unhappy. working on getting a stock apex because i want to ride, not ride a few miles and watch my blower break. Once it works it will be great. i think i just got a bad blower kit. I still want a stock apex though. my sled before boost was plenty for me. I rode an apex and it was perfect. should have just bought one in the first place.

Ah, this brings back memories (all bad) of my first few, short, towed home, trailered home, boosted (sort of) rides. The one that sounds most similar was the trailered home one. The upper pulley (on the jack shaft that drives the blower) was improperly installed, came loose, allowing the pulley to spin on the shaft, damaging the shaft, creating all sorts of bad noises/smoke, etc. MPI was great, warrantied most everything (was not their mistake/responsibility), I installed the replacement parts myself this time. Take your time, read the instructions carefully, make sure you have an inch pound torque wrench and good straight edge to properly align top and bottom pulleys. If you don't have the instructions, contact MPI and they will send/email PDF them to you. Most of all keep after it. none of these kits are plug and play, they all take persistence. :o|

Try taking the belt off and see if the blower and jack shaft will spin free. If you need help, call MPI(it may take more than one call to get the right person) they can be very helpful.

When you get all the bugs worked out (you will), all the effort will be well worthwhile. :-o

SoCoRX1 said:
After we found the initial problem to be a wobbling pulley, the belt looked to be OK running a bigger top pulley at 7lbs of boost. It was running great for about 10 miles. we were going across a meadow to some hillclimbs. Came to a stop and there was an insane clicking sound. Imagine engine pinging but you can hear it 200 feet away. Turned it off, engine was smoking. i thought i blew my engine. tried to turn it over. it turned over but was clicking hard. It would start but was really clicking. Just sounded like bang bang bang i guess. All pulleys looked fine. All belts looked ok. Turned it on, revved it up and it sounded ok with a little bit of a whistle. I pulled it forward about 50 feet. It moved but came to a halt quickly with no brakes. I opened the hood and found the blower belt was burning. Turned the sled on and the top pulley was not moving at all. The noise was the ribs on the belt hitting the bottom pulley. The bottom pulley was moving just burning the ribs off. Top pulley WILL NOT move at all.

So i have almost 15 boosted miles in 2 rides.

Very unhappy. working on getting a stock apex because i want to ride, not ride a few miles and watch my blower break. Once it works it will be great. i think i just got a bad blower kit. I still want a stock apex though. my sled before boost was plenty for me. I rode an apex and it was perfect. should have just bought one in the first place.

WOW Dude!!! What about all the money you put in it????????????????????????????????????????

You should get a Nytro if you do the Yammy thing. I think a 700rmk would be awesome for ya.

So sorry to hear about your troubles :(

Will call you in a while

Well doesn't that just suck.

I don't think I can offer you much more than moral support. Get ahold of MPI as soon as you can, and I hope you're up and running without delay.

Well the good news is the guys (Trey) at high altitude boost is fully willing to help and is doing whatever he can to help. He has gone way out of his way to help me do this and is on the phone with MPI exactly whenever he can be to get new parts. Very helpful and that i am happy about. He needed to be somewhere on Thursday but instead spent 6 hours helping me. I am very appreciative of the service

MPI seems to be helping with what they can. I should have my sled running this week. Before it breaks, the power is ridiculous!

After re-reading your first topic and seeing what you found out about the belt issue; I wonder if the bent/wobbley upper pulley that took out your idler pulley, might have caused the bearing on your jack shaft to fail/seize up also. Does the super charger still spin freely?

Also; re-check the pullies to make sure they are still tight and have good allingment after the first 50 miles (once you get to that point).

Jim

Took it to HA Boost today. Blgs you are right. The wobbling pulley caused the bearing in the jack shaft to fail. Its the bearing on the blower belt side (outside) not the inside by the blower. Blower spins freely, so thats still good.

HA Boost is sending back the entire shaft, overnighted on wednesday with a thursday early morning delivery and we are hoping MPI will ship it thursday afternoon and i will cover overnight shipping both ways. I just want to ride! Rode a Ski Doo 800 XP 163 a couple days ago and really liked it. Though it didnt have quite the snap that my SC has ;)

Blgs you need to get down here or down to the snowy range in wyoming so we can ride

Back