• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

13mm sway bar?

KevinS said:
dhkr123 said:
13 is pretty harsh. It is best on a smooth trail because it will keep the machine level. Around corners on a ROUGH trail, and it could actually do more to pitch you over than not having a swaybar at all. It effectively increases the spring force by applying also the opposite side suspension.

I went back to the stock bar. I found it very harsh in the corners. More ski lift since there was less body roll.

Yours and my definitions of harsh are very different. We're not talking about body roll being a characteristic of harshness, we're talking about a lack of suspension compliance.

Obviously there is less body roll with a thicker swaybar. It is also much more harsh in terms of suspension compliance. The two are mutually exclusive.

dhkr123 said:
Yours and my definitions of harsh are very different. We're not talking about body roll being a characteristic of harshness, we're talking about a lack of suspension compliance.

Obviously there is less body roll with a thicker swaybar. It is also much more harsh in terms of suspension compliance. The two are mutually exclusive.

Not sure harsh was the right term for me to use. I found it extremely dangerous in the corners. It is hard to turn when your inside ski is 1-2' in the air. My front shocks were as loose as they can be and my transfer rod was set towards the min. Not sure how much more adjustments were needed. I previously had a 12mm bar in an Apex and did not have the same problems. I don't with the stock bar either.

I am running gytr shocks instead of the stock shocks and 8" triple points so maybe that has something to do with it.

Yeah, i have standard shocks up front. But the ski lift is what i want to get away form with the 13mm. I have to slow down too much in corners with stock, it sucks. My old sx i would barley let off the throttle going into corners. if i did that with the apex it'd roll into the bush!

RunninRX1 said:
The question is what do you consider "fast, hard cornering". Riding styles vary greatly and when somebody says they ride fast and/or aggressive, it should be taken with a grain of salt.
Not saying that you don't ride fast or anything, just saying what I consider fast might differ from your definition of fast.
Please keep ion mind that the trails are public. If you are hitting the corners so fast that the sled wants to roll, Maybe it would be worth a moment to pause and think about the safety of others. Lets keep the racing to the track and allow everyone to enjoy the trails!
I lost a close freind due to an oncoming racer on the trails! Think about what could happen if you came into a corner hot and took out somebodies wife and child.

sway bar

i have to agree with wesled2
i was down around rangeley and jackman maine a couple of years ago with 3 other guys. we met more idiots on the trails there than i ever did before. way too fast in the corners. put us in the willy wags more than one time.
i know this is getting off topic but some poeple need to be reminded to drive as per the conditions.

WeSled2 said:
RunninRX1 said:
The question is what do you consider "fast, hard cornering". Riding styles vary greatly and when somebody says they ride fast and/or aggressive, it should be taken with a grain of salt.
Not saying that you don't ride fast or anything, just saying what I consider fast might differ from your definition of fast.
Please keep ion mind that the trails are public. If you are hitting the corners so fast that the sled wants to roll, Maybe it would be worth a moment to pause and think about the safety of others. Lets keep the racing to the track and allow everyone to enjoy the trails!
I lost a close freind due to an oncoming racer on the trails! Think about what could happen if you came into a corner hot and took out somebodies wife and child.

X2,

Please keep the speed runs in areas where the only person in jeopardy is the sled operator and not innocent others.

bottlerocket said:
13mm with float shocks only ....... I did it as soon as I added the fox floats .........

I concur with Bottlerocket. Floats make it easy to lower your front end and work well if going to 13 mm bar. But can also be done with coil over shocks too easily enough. Key is to get the a arms level with the ground. Rocker Dan has a great thread on this.

i lowered my sled 1/2" this morn. loosened up the springs on my GYTR's. a-arms not quite level with the ground but close. set comp clicker 1 harder than stock and set the rebound at stock. gonna start with this setup and see how she goes.

off topic but how exactly is the limiter strap supposed to work and affect handling? mine is set on the loose/lengthy side it appears.
apex gt

i agree, the hotheads flying into totally blind corners on a narrow trail in the daytime is nonsense and very dangerous. wider trails not so bad, nighttime when you can see oncoming lights not so bad but in the day, totally blind is just plain dumb. i dont have a lot of patience for it.

mr. shide said:
i agree, the hotheads flying into totally blind corners on a narrow trail in the daytime is nonsense and very dangerous. wider trails not so bad, nighttime when you can see oncoming lights not so bad but in the day, totally blind is just plain dumb. i dont have a lot of patience for it.

Nor do I. It's very easy to spot those people who have no real clue on how to ride. I pay very close attention to the trail conditions, amount of other people on them, lightning conditions, who had a beer during lunch and which way that person went when they left the bar. (I'm going the other way..and I have seen PLENTY of TY'ers guilty of drinking and riding). I ride the same Michigan trails all the time so I know what I can do where.

For my style of riding, which some of you may be inferring I'm and idiot, or a racer, or a hothead, the 13mm bar made my sled borderline uncontrollable for how I ride. It was downright dangerous which is why I took it off. Somebody was going to get hurt. On my buddies sled, when he is riding it, works fine for him. He loves it (besides the bad feedback in the bars on chop).
When I ride his sled, same situation as when I had that bar in mine. Dangerous. He doesn't ride like I do.

I'm not a racer or anything... way too old for that. I ride where I feel comfortable with me, my machine and whoever is on the trail coming the other way. I constantly assume the others on the trail have no business being out there and adjust my riding accordingly. I do not trust you know how to handle your own machine, but when the opportunity exists, I'll put the power down.

My point was, and I fell victim to it, take opinions on what some part will do to your machine with a grain of salt. Since I am a corner carver and could give a rats azz about powder snow, boondocking, ditchbanging, etc, it LOOKED like the 13mm bar would improve how I like to ride. I saw lots of people who said they like to ride fast/aggressive/whatever you want to call it say the thing flat out worked wonders for them. Sweet! I'm in.

Wrong. Your results may vary. Mine did.

alot of the tippyness feeling you guys are running into be because of the shitty yamaha skis.. Install some skidoo pilot skis and the 13mm swaybar and it will not be tippy at all

100% on the knuckleheads pretending they're pro racers. And not just around corners.... I've seen the underbelly of a green goblin with a track filled with a million steel spikes flying over my head. Not cool.

Back