• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'15-'16 TYMFC *Mileage Quest*

Mileage Quest

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'12 Apex X-TX
:sled2::sled2:S0 the fun begins again!!!!!:sled1::sled1:
12/26/2015
So my '12 Vector LTX was totaled out at the end of the '13-'14 Season... read about it here: http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=124237 That was the year everywhere had snow... So after collecting the insurance check I had time to ponder what sled to get next... I choose to gamble that the following season would be one which only the U.P. gets snow... I was right no snow anywhere... So I took a year off... I spent the last four months shopping for the right held over Apex XTX... I found a dealer demo for a great price... Early last weekend got my ducks in a row...
IMG_1202.JPG
IMG_1228.JPG
I made the 6 hour drive to pick it up the day after X-mas... Had a few friends that wanted to tag along since I had convinced them there would be rideable snow there...
IMG_1220.JPG
We rode low snow conditions the first and last 10 mile of our trip but once we got going we found some pretty deep stuff... We even found some double groomed trail:eek:
IMG_1229.JPG

Lots of good snow here!!! 4" to 6" base in places:

IMG_1222.JPG IMG_1224.JPG IMG_1225.JPG

The main problems we encountered were: the down fall from all the wet heavy snow, early packed but not groomed trails (very large bumps) and not being familiar with the area defiantly kept the speeds down for the day:
IMG_1226.JPG

after spending 5 hours with her I put her away and started my 6 hour drive home:
IMG_1221.JPG

This trip clocked 132 miles
Current miles on ODM 2083
Previous years miles on ODM 1951
YTD miles 132

Last edited:

Jan 8/9, 2016
So we headed up the North Shore Friday around noon... Last ride we found a place along the trail that rents cabins for a decent price... This was the view from the front door!!!
IMG_1240.JPG

Friday night we rode to a snowmobile hotspot and then went over to see if the ski bunnies were out?!?

IMG_1235.JPG IMG_1238.JPG

On our way back to the cabin we meet the groomer... that left us with quite a bit of this to ride on Saturday!!!

IMG_1246.JPG

Quick pic of the sleds...

IMG_1243.JPG

It was going to get cold and windy overnight so we loaded up and hit the bar (that's the night the LES started for da U.P.)

IMG_1248.JPG

This trip clocked 238 miles
Current miles on ODM 2321
YTD miles 370

Last edited:
Jan 19-21, 2016

So I got to get away for a little solo midweek trip... I have a couple friends that live in east Duluth area so I ride while they are working and crash at their pad... The only down fall is that you need to load up to get to their place in town... I headed up Tuesday morning so I could ride south of Duluth before they got off work...

IMG_1259.JPG

Jay Cooke State Park:

IMG_1262.JPG IMG_1261.JPG

The next morning I trailered up to Two Harbors and dropped off there... Destination is Grand Marais!!!

IMG_1264.JPG

Hit a few stops that you can sled to along the way

Gooseberry Falls State Park:

IMG_1266.JPG IMG_1265.JPG IMG_1267.JPG

Tettegouche State Park:

IMG_1269.JPG IMG_1270.JPG IMG_1271.JPG

Picked up a pack of guys at the gas station which lead us into...

Temperance River State Park and Carlton/Tofte peak:

IMG_1272.JPG IMG_1274.JPG IMG_1275.JPG
(Pictures don't do this park justice... This is possibly the best summer state park in the state!!!)

IMG_1276.JPG
(I lead them up Tofte... no one had been up Carlton and I wasn't going to be the first... going up Tofte is sketchy enough!!!)

After this they headed back and I forged ahead... The next morning this was my view for my room... I love this lake!!!
IMG_1277.JPG

From here I headed up the Gunflint Trail about halfway then turned around... Picked up the North Shore/ C.J. Ramstad trail at its trail head and rode it all the way back to Two Harbors...

IMG_1278.JPG IMG_1280.JPG image.jpeg
This trip clocked 425 miles
Current miles on ODM 2746
YTD miles 795

Last edited:
Jan 29/30, 2016

So after seeing the pictures from my last trip the guys wanted to take a few of their own... I planned a trip that was very similar to the Two Harbors to Grand Marais trip I took last week...
IMG_1327.JPG
IMG_1298.JPG
IMG_1317.JPG
IMG_1306.JPG

We dropped off right in town and headed up the Yukon Trail...

IMG_1310.JPG IMG_1294.JPG IMG_1295.JPG IMG_1320.JPG

From there we headed over to the Blue Fin then up to the Cascade Inn...

IMG_1300.JPG IMG_1316.JPG IMG_1319.JPG IMG_1301.JPG

By then it was getting dark so we headed up to Grand Marais... Since it was going to get into the mid 40's F we got an early start toward home... We only stopped at shelters, Gooseberry Falls, and once for gas...

IMG_1302.JPG IMG_1303.JPG IMG_1322.JPG IMG_1321.JPG

When I got home there were a couple boxes waiting for me (star kit and gytr with dual rate + hylo valves)...

IMG_1326.JPG IMG_1325.JPG

This trip clocked 330 miles
Current miles on ODM 3076
YTD miles 1125

Feb 4-6, 2016

So I had a friend call and offer a spot up at The Walleye Lodge during her groups trip to the Western U.P... All but one person had never been snowmobiling in the U.P. and he had only been up here once... It worked out well for both sides... They never had to worry about gas, food, or what trail they were on and I got to ride all the trails that I wanted... So my friend and I were unloaded by 1pm est on Thursday and took off ...
IMG_1345.JPG IMG_1368.JPG FullSizeRender_2.jpg

Everyone else showed up later that night so we made plans to head out as a group in the morning and split off as the day went along...
IMG_1347.JPG

By the end of the day there was only 2 of us left...
FullSizeRender_1.jpg

Saturday morning 4 of us left early because we wanted to get a head start on the traffic... We headed over to LotCs... I wish we would have waited for the sun to come up (we were 30-45 min early)
IMG_1353.JPG IMG_1360.JPG IMG_1358.JPG
IMG_1356.JPG

We were headed over toward Rockland went he locked her up tight... I pulled him 13 miles back to the Lodge...
IMG_1361.JPG

Got back around noon... He found a sled to rent by 1:30 and we filling up in Bergland at 2... Waited 45 minutes for a pump... This was about half way through the wait and you can only imagine what the trails were like after...
IMG_1362.JPG IMG_1366.JPG

This trip clocked 643 miles
Current miles on ODM 3719
YTD miles 1768

I was hoping to get much more on my Nytro this year but due to the quick warm up I ended up with 2,368 miles of smiles. Can't wait till next season.

I was hoping to get much more on my Nytro this year but due to the quick warm up I ended up with 2,368 miles of smiles. Can't wait till next season.
I might have a couple rides left this year... Surprisingly the North Shore area of MN has had the best snow around this year!!! With all the traffic and trashed out trails we had this trip we would have gladly taken the week trip in MN

Feb 15-19, 2016

My dad, our riding buddy, and I have finally committed to an annual week trip... This year we decided to go earlier in the year due to the warm/ low snow year... We planned to do a smaller back pack trip in the U.P. starting and ending at Lake Gogebic...

Monday we got out early... Started off the ride on trail #13S on the east side of Gogebic... took that to #2E and gassed up in Watersmeet... From there we took #107N :sled2: to and connected up with #8E... We stopped to see Xena in Sidnaw... After we left there we headed toward L'Anse and took #14E to Big Bay...

Tuesday morning we left Big Bay headed to Munising... For the next two days we will be riding trails none of us have rode, except for the trails just west of Grand Marais... I had a day on them 10+ years ago and been trying to get them to go out that far ever sense... We stayed on #14E where we came upon this area somewhere around Marquette...

IMG_1370.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG IMG_1374.JPG
IMG_1372.JPG

From there we connected up with #417E and headed toward Munising... Somewhere near Deerton we stopped to check out the sculptures and hang out at the only trail shelter I've seen in Michigan...

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG IMG_1377.JPG IMG_1378.JPG

From here we connected up with #8E and took it to the Comfort Inn in Wetmore... We unpacked our stuff and headed East toward Grand Marias... Once we got over that way we took #89E along the lake :sled2::-o:sled1:

IMG_1379.JPG

We were just getting back when this guy pulled up:dieIMG_1380.JPG

Wednesday we left early and stuck to #8W all the way to the Baraga (back on familiar trails) and headed up #15N to Chassell...Then we cut over to #3S via the Chassell-Painesdale road ... From here we caught #13S and came out at Pat's Yamaha... We got a bite to eat across the street then took #12E back to #3S and caught #8W into Bergland

Thursday Morning my dad woke up and said he had enough... The trails were bad and this was in the middle of the week... We had 700+ on already so I didn't blame him... The banana and I took off for Copper Harbor and back trip... We headed up #13N to #3N...

IMG_1381.JPG

Once we got to Hancock we stayed on the west side on till we got to Calumet... We reassessed and determined that with the amount of sleds we had already seen and the distance we'd have to go back that this was as far north as we wanted to go... We came down #3s all the way to Mass City where we meet my dad again... From there we took #12E to #109S... That links you back up with #8W near Sidnaw... We continued west until we turned on #107S :sled2: that lead us over to the connector that links you back up with #3N... We rode that to #8W and loaded them up when we got back to Bergland

IMG_1382.JPG

This trip clocked 1036 miles
Current miles on ODM 4755
YTD miles 2804

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2016

So I made a quick trip up to the Minnesota TY ride... Andy, Rob, Drew and I left Andy's place Friday around 11 am... We headed over to the Trestle Inn, had a bite to eat and then headed back...
IMG_1389.JPG

We stopped at the same place going in and coming back... Sunset makes it so much better!!!!

IMG_1386.JPG
IMG_1393.JPG

I headed home early Saturday while Brandon joined Andy and Rob on a trip up the Vermillion River...
IMG_1395.JPG

This trip clocked 219 miles
Current miles on ODM 4974
YTD miles 3023

Well it was a year ago today I purchased my Apex... As I was out in the garage prepping it for a upcoming trip to the U.P. I realized I didn't post the last trip of the year for last year...

So my dad and I went to the U.P. some time around the first weekend of March... Rode most of the Western U.P. like normal... (got my stop up on the Brockway)

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

IMG_1396.JPG IMG_1397.JPG IMG_1398.JPG IMG_1399.JPG IMG_1403.JPG
IMG_1408.JPG

So I parked it for the season with 5619 miles on the ticker for a total of 3668 for the year
IMG_1410.JPG

This trip clocked 645 miles
Current miles on ODM 5619
YTD miles 3668

Back