• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1st Ride Questions

PA_sledder

Finally got some snow in PA today and I was able to get out for 1st ride on my new Rage. When finished I noticed that the heat exchangers under the running boards were so hot that you couldn't touch them. I also noticed the smell of burning oil and rubber when I parked it in the garage. Is the smell normal for a sled that has never been run before and should I be concerned about the heat ?

You will have some of that stink for a while. Mine did. Don't know about the exchangers other than that the engine is tight and is running a bit hotter during break-in.

Trust me it only gets better...The first ride I took my wife was behind me and she asked me if something was on fire at our first stop... Just all that gunk and oil they used to put the old girl together.. My belt squealed at every stop for the first 15 miles.. Drove me nuts.. But I knew it would stop. I have 165 miles on mine now.. Every time I ride it I like it more... Good luck with yours..MM. ;)! :4STroke:

yamahaex50 said:
where is there snow in PA and why am I not riding it?
We had about 5 inches of sleet and snow last night in northeast PA. There were areas that has a lot more.
Trust me the riding was not good, it was just buzzing around the neighborhood. (I needed to get out and ride bad) Heading to the UP next week, hopefully the snow stays good there.

If the heat exchangers are hot that means they are doing their job, transferring heat away from the motor. What you would not want to feel is a cold heat exchanger.
All the smells and sounds are perfectly normal for a new machine.

PA - Where abouts are ya in Penn....we have a second house on Lake Wallenpaupack...you anywhere near there?

I am farther west. My camp is near dubios area, my home i closer to the pittsburgh area.

Kren said:
PA - Where abouts are ya in Penn....we have a second house on Lake Wallenpaupack...you anywhere near there?

I am in Northeast PA, about 30 miles southwest of the Pack. Had some decent snow starting, but the ice and rains have ruined most of it.

Back