• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2000 Venture 485XL melted ground wire

Yamahammer485

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Hey all,

I know..., 4 stroke side, but I never seem to get good reception on the 2s side, and I know you guys on this side have great ideas, so here goes..

While looking over the sled, I notice the wiring over the gas tank attached to the metal hoop has melted, and only the ground wire. The plastic sheathing has entirely melted, exposing burned copper wires. This melted wire was grounded out on the pto side of the hoop, and the wire remains burned accross the hoop to the mag side. It eventually splices into ground from the handwarmers, and the grounds "upstream" from the burned wire to the grips are fine. Continuing, the burned wire continues into the larger wiring harness where it can eventually be traced back to the rectifier. Interestingly, from the rectifier, several grounds splice, including the one which is burned, and it is only ever this one single wire. The burned part is the worst accross the top of the hoop, so bad, its actually surprising the sled didnt burn to the ground.

Next, upon closer inspection, the ground coming from the mag on the engine is also burned, that is, until it reaches a plug going under the motor, then its fine. So far, no rub through's under the motor.

With all that said, sled has 20 000kms, runs perfect except thumb warmer stopped working and the sled has a hard time idling when cold, regardless of idle speed. Also, tried many searches, came up with nothing.

Dont know why this happened, hopefuly only the rectifier?
Any ideas guys? Thanks in advance

Back