• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2001 Grizzly 600 top speed loss (clutch)...also carb?

azscott

So first off I have a Grizzly 600 (2001) with about 5k miles on it. Bought it used a while back.
Had been moderately maintained....not bad but they could have done better.
I was out today and while the engine seemed to have plenty of power the top speed was not there. Maybe I could get 40 mph max at max RPMs'. Again the engine seems just fine....just no top speed.
Not sure if the clutch is slippin ? Or what...I am not familiar with the Yamaha Grizzly.
What would be the best things to check first. I am not concerned about doing 60mph on dirt road....rather I do not want to be revving this thing out at 30 either.
My guess is in the clutch/ belt system.
Also I had the carb cleaned and rebuilt but it seems to run a bit rich. I say that because when I sit and idle for a few minutes and then go to hit the throttle it will load up...and I have to feather the throttle a bit to blow out the excess fuel...and I can smel;l fuel.
It is not extremely bad but it is a bit annoying. Does this sound like an air mixture issue....usualy is with older carbs in cars but again this is not a car.
if it is where is the mixture screw for this...or am I wrong in the assumption.
The only change in the carb system from stock was using a K&N air filter as the one that was in it was not stock but some other ill fitting POS.
I can take it to a dealer but dang...they are expensive...I will if I have to but prefer to do what i can on my own.
Appreciate any help
Scott

With 5k on it chances are that the clutch/belt hasn't been serviced. It should do around 58mph. I had a 2000 Grizzly and it was a bit rich on the jetting. I cut 6 one inch holes in the air box lid and it ran a lot better. It also has an internal wet clutch and if you have some slippery motor oil in the crankcase you could be slipping there.

Back