• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2003 Venture 600 Pickup coils

redheadsled

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2003 Yamaha Venture 600
Hi,

New to the site and hoping you guys can help me out. Recently acquired a 2003 Yamaha Venture 600. I have no history on the sled but it was cheap so I thought I would take a chance on it.

Anyways, I'm not getting any spark. I'm getting an open reading for the pickup coil (red to green) and 1.2 ohms between the 3 white wires on the stator. I've removed the flywheel and visually inspected the stator and there are no burnt spots, looks good. So what I'm getting at is that I would like to just replace the pickup coil before dropping $200+ on the stator assembly. I know yamaha does not sell just the pickup coil by itself but I have found a number of coils on ebay that visually appear identical to the one I have. I do not have a service manual so I'm not sure exactly what the resistance should be, however, the replacement stator assembly from RMStator shows that it should be 213 ohms.

I've found a coil on ebay that shows it will fit a venture 600 from 99-01 and that the resistance is 195 ohms. It looks identical other than the color of the wires. Do you guys think it would work? Is there any chance that the wrong pickup coil could damage the CDI box? Thanks!

Attachments

• pickup coil.jpg
    pickup coil.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 239

hi welcome to the site!

you might get better answers over on our sister site for the 2 strokes, totallyamaha.net.

i am assuming you did make sure the kill switch and ignition where both working properly before you dug into it this far.

i do not know if you can do that honestly and would probably just spring for a rm stator or send yours out for a re wind if it is out of spec.

have you checked that all the grounds on the sled are good and clean as well?

Thanks I just posted over there too.

Killswitch and ignition function properly. I also tried bypassing the tors and still no spark. I'm using a cheap 25 dollar multimeter so I'm not concerned about the 1.2 ohms being out of spec, I'm sure it's just my meter.

I've always been a big yamaha fan but am not too happy that they make you buy a stator and coil assembly together. All these little coils look the same, I find it hard to believe they are not made in the same place.

Well I went ahead and bought the coil off ebay for 20 bucks. It was advertised to have 195 ohms resistance and when I tested it I actually got 215, which is what the 2003 should have. Hooked it up and bumped the starter, nice blue SPARK!

Back