• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 APEX XTX exhaust donuts and mileage

How do you check the donuts? Are you doing the hands over the exhaust and see if it dies or something more invasive? Glad to hear I am not the only one that has lost a few miles, so far your the only other person I have heard this happening to.

i use the glove/rag method. still was snuffing out last check before i put it away for the summer or until i take it out to do the maintenece.

OOOOK! 2 oldest moved to SA in their teens. 1 is in Boerne, the other in Katy now. Katy son is getting married in Bee Cave in August. I keep threatening to build my 06 Attak in to a drag sled and take it TX2K as a demo. It's trip a few minds lol. Apex XTX off trail, on trail, hell, ANYWHERE you want to go will take you there. I've followed pure mountain sleds off trail wherever they go. Throttle control and technique are what's required. ALL SNOWMOBILES ARE HEAVY WHEN STUCK! Therefore, don't get stuck lol. Vipers are a step down in power. But it's a great chassis that rides and handles well. Right person on a properly setup Viper can run all day with an Apex. I've got 25,000 miles between my 2 Apex chassis. Love both of them. I'm a big guy and the Apex just works for me. I replaced my POS Exup with Ulmers stainless header before last season. Won't go back. I ran my cracked leaky #*$&@ Exup 2 yrs. with the cable broken and the valve wired wide open. IMHO it's nothing but a marketing gimmick. Sled returns 14-15 mpg and has all the grunt I ever need.

OOOOK! 2 oldest moved to SA in their teens. 1 is in Boerne, the other in Katy now. Katy son is getting married in Bee Cave in August. I keep threatening to build my 06 Attak in to a drag sled and take it TX2K as a demo. It's trip a few minds lol. Apex XTX off trail, on trail, hell, ANYWHERE you want to go will take you there. I've followed pure mountain sleds off trail wherever they go. Throttle control and technique are what's required. ALL SNOWMOBILES ARE HEAVY WHEN STUCK! Therefore, don't get stuck lol. Vipers are a step down in power. But it's a great chassis that rides and handles well. Right person on a properly setup Viper can run all day with an Apex. I've got 25,000 miles between my 2 Apex chassis. Love both of them. I'm a big guy and the Apex just works for me. I replaced my POS Exup with Ulmers stainless header before last season. Won't go back. I ran my cracked leaky #*$&@ Exup 2 yrs. with the cable broken and the valve wired wide open. IMHO it's nothing but a marketing gimmick. Sled returns 14-15 mpg and has all the grunt I ever need.

You may be more of a Texan then me :). Thanks for the info..

The odometer is stored in the instrument panel (speedometer) not the ECU. If you were reading one of the two trip odometers you'd be confused. Check again.

BTW how does the Viper compare to the APEX? Are you glad you went with the LTX or would you go with the XTX if you had to do it over again? I would like to get a Viper next.

I'm a granny on my Apex, as I only open it up on the lakes and straightaways. So power is not what lures me away from the viper. As they both accelerate very well. But I would have to admit, that I like the sound of the Apex better than the viper. Ride quality is very similar as track length helps so much.

The Viper I bought was well modded and it replaced the Phazer my daughter was riding. So it is only used by her, and my sledless buddies. It is setup for high speed trail riding, so the steering is fairly heavy, well more than stock. Ulmer clutching, CA Skis, shaper bars, 8DN Belt, power commander, HyGear Axis shocks all the way around, woody's studs etc.

I won't let this turn into a debate thread, but EPS has me, and I won't go anywhere till I can get it on another sled. And this is not just steering effort, but also for taking away the jarring and jerks that comes with sledding for hundreds of miles.

I have said this in so many other threads too, the XTX with 1.6" Ice Cobra has yet to get stuck by me. Other than that one time on a steep hill in Wyoming, when I stopped with my skis pointing up. Rookie mistake. (pic below) But even though I buried the sled, I didn't dig it out. I used reverse for about a foot, and proceeded to "wrong foot forward" leap that trail tank out of the snow Chris Burandt style. At least that is what it looked like in my mind. So technically not stuck, it came out under it's own power without digging.

Being able to outrun just about any sled I ride with in a straight line, is a bonus, but hardly ever tested. As my balls don't match the capability of that sled. Any good 600 pilot can out run ME in the twisties. I just enjoy a spirited ride through the woods and the XTX is the tool of choice.

Attachments

• 20170204_160936 (1).jpg
    20170204_160936 (1).jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 241
Thanks for all the info from everyone.

I finally have all my parts and am about to put this back together but noticed that the steel gasket between the flex pipes and the motor was doubled up (two steel gaskets used). Of course now I am thinking they had a leaking issues in the past so someone put in two but it could also just have been a mistake during manufacturing. I went ahead and ordered two just in case but does anyone think I need two? Anyone ever seen or heard of that?

Thanks!

they all have 2 layers.

Thanks for all the info from everyone.

I finally have all my parts and am about to put this back together but noticed that the steel gasket between the flex pipes and the motor was doubled up (two steel gaskets used). Of course now I am thinking they had a leaking issues in the past so someone put in two but it could also just have been a mistake during manufacturing. I went ahead and ordered two just in case but does anyone think I need two? Anyone ever seen or heard of that?

Thanks!

They're cheap enough..so I've always replaced with new ones.. all that work and why fool around. There is a law that says if it can happen it will happen.

2018-03-01 16.21.18.jpg
2018-02-18 12.49.54.jpg
Looks like higher miles..here's a tunnel pic of my 06, third donut change...with about 7000 miles on. And yeah, the lower a arms, and ripsaw1 look high miles.
At 900 miles, my sled literally looked brand new everywhere.

well murph has bit me in the *** on my 2011. went to check adjust on exup and broke both cover plate allens off using heat. then both cables are toast. since i was in there decided to do dounts and broke one of the ones for the heat sheild off in the tunnel. now waiting on parts while i take all those busted bolt out. 22000km though before touching donuts.

Back