• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 RS Vector - Ice Ripper 1.25 or Ice Attack 1.063 Track

Mike E

I am going to retrack my new 2012 Vector with a Ice Ripper 1.25 lug or Ice Attack 1.063 high lug.
Any worries with the 1.25 lug height and the additional 3/16 stud height. Or should I drop down to the 1.063 height?
Is either, or, a better performing track for my rig?
I'm a old fart usually riding the lake and hard pack trails(dirt now).

Thanks
Mike

Ice Ripper

I stretched my Vector to 136 and added an Ice Ripper. Have only ridden 450 miles but the trails were icy underneath and the track held in the corners which is what I wanted. I was amazed at the improvement. Can't speak to any issues like slider wear yet as I don't have enough seat time yet but the traction is much improved over standard track. Hope this helps.

Geezer

Why go to the trouble of replacing the track when the track is brand new, just stud it. 96 studs up the middle. It's better than prestuded and will cost you way less. If replacing, then 1.25" lug as the original. Better hook-up, and better in the powder when you get some.

I could see ice ripper for replacing a worn track but agree with last post, just stud it probably save 400$

srvfan said:
I could see ice ripper for replacing a worn track but agree with last post, just stud it probably save 400$

I was going to put 144 down the middle. When I asked the dealer(whom I won't name) he wanted $4.75 a stud installed. HOLY CRAP!! that comes to $684.00. So I can get a Ice Ripper 1.25 for $520.00 or a Ice Attack 1.063 for $450.00. plus $200 to install. Its a wash plus I have a new track I can try to sell for a couple hundred. It may be a mute point for this year unless the snow starts piling up.

Mike

Holy crap! is right. I guess I would go with the ice ripper 1.25" then. You can then sell your old(new) track easily for $300, and get almost half your money back.

Mike I don't know what your mechanical abilities are, but if you are an average trail rider, 96 up the middle would be easy to do yourself. There are plenty of places to order studs, I just put 96 in my wifes sled for around $300.00. This got me the template and the cutting tool. It took me about 3-4 hours to drill and install the studs on a 1-1/4" ripsaw track. Something to think about. Mike ;)!

The main reason for going with an ice ripper track over studding your existing track, is so you don't throw a stud through your front heat exchanger. I have done that on two of my 4 stroke Yamahas so far. I now stud the track for the first 3, 000 miles then it comes off and a ice ripper goes on.

I had the Ice Ripper XT installed on my '07 at 9800 KM. The original track was the 1.25 Ripsaw studded with 96 up the middle. The XT is still in great shape and the sled has over 23000Km. My adult son is now riding it.

The performance of the track is comparable to the 96 stud pattern but has lasted a lot longer.

When I bought my 2012 Vector, it was a no brainer. I had the track swapped as part of the deal and the new track, installed cost me $300 and the original track. Studs would have cost about the same.

No problem with clearance and, as someone else mentioned, you won't throw a stud through your heat exchanger.

Good Luck.

i also threw a stud thru heat exchanger. $$$$$$$$

Back