• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012 Yamaha's

Re: My $.02: Still the best sleds

joelness said:
I'm sure some common complaints could be addressed and probably were. However, they are still the best built sleds on the market by far. Want a cheap throwaway sled? Buy a Polaris or a Cat. Yamaha's are built to last.

As far as weight goes, come on, they are 4 strokes! One is automatically going to have a 50-100 lb disadvantage. Also, compare Yamaha with Polaris's feeble 4 stroke attempt and Arctic Cats heavy beast ZR (heavier than an APEX). I wouldn't waste my money on either of them. The Doo is nice and does have a decent 4 stroke but they just jury rig the 4 stroke into a frame built for a 2 stroke. So from an engineers (I am one) perspective, that brings durability into question.

I'm a 4 stroke convert and will never buy a 2 smoker again. I've replaced a few too many jugs and pistons on Poo's and Cat's and would rather ride my sled than be fixing them. Since buying my Yamaha's, that is what I do. I also don't smell like a fricken chain saw after a days ride.
I love it well put dude

The sled crowd gets sick of the same ol quick. Long term reliability doesnt matter much to the people who buy every year or two. Companies make the most off people who buy every year or two. They need to wow people to make money, not make the same ol thing.

Oh... yeah... I didn't even realize they released the 2012 line up. Wouldn't have mattered, I could look at last year's brochure and see the same thing.

Grimm said:
You know how to let Yamaha know that you are let down by the 2012s? By not buying one.

Yup. Did that a couple years ago and switched to Polaris. Had a nice, but underwhelming experience with my 2008 Polaris 700 Switchback Dragon. Handled well for me, but then it popped a cylinder at 4000 miles and I remembered the benefit of 4 stroke. So I went shopping again last season...and I did it AGAIN by switching to Ski-Doo.

Before plunking down another $9K to $10K I certainly checked out Yamaha as I'm always open-minded. What I saw in the 2010/2011 lineup was pretty much same as my 07 Attak I prematurely totalled and sold, and because it was too heavy for my style of boondocking I didn't really want another one 3 years later.

So instead I bought a new leftover 2010 Renegade 1200 to see how well the 2 stroke kings handle the 4 stroke thing. What a pleasant surprise I found. Simply put, it is a very, VERY nice sled. I have no regrets and Yamaha has some SERIOUS 4 stroke competition with Doo's intro of this machine. No machine is perfect, but so far this is the best I have ever owned. Powertrain equal to my Attak in smoothness and power, but in a fanstastic handling, lightweight chassis...drastically improved over the 07 Attak. Shockingly I found it boondocks almost as well as it trail rides...my Attak could NEVER boondock like this thing does, and the Gade handles high speed trails a bit better than the Attak did as well, and that's where I felt my old Attak truly excelled. And a bit less expensive when new to boot...and holding resale value BEAUTIFULLY...much like a Yamaha. But I'm not here to start any brand-bashing...I own them all and ride them all, and I really enjoyed my Yamaha ownership experience. All brands have merit and I always shop ALL brands when I'm in the market for a new machine.

I'm not really in the market this year but I'm always shopping since I flip every 2 to 4 years. And it recently popped into my mind that Yamaha was probably overdue for something big and new, so today I checked out their site with future purchase in mind and checked out the 2012's. I see the same dang thing AGAIN. They are now going to enter their SEVENTH year of the Apex chassis? I mean...REALLY? And that doesn't even include the RX-1 years which weren't too far different? That would make TEN years??? A full decade in one basic chassis. And charge $10K+ to $15K for 10 year old chassis technology. All I can say is WOW...talk about resting on your laurels!

I mean, Yamaha sleds are reliable and all...and nobody smart will ever criticize their fantastic motors, but now their chassis are fully and officially out-of-date...all of them...BIG time!! And I consider my Doo to be just as reliable, if not a bit more reliable, than my Attak was. So you've been caught in the one big category you really had going for you.

Because of this, Yamaha lost my business in 2008 and 2010...I purchased 2 new sleds from competitors instead. Yami, if you're listening here, it's PAST time to step up. I may be shopping for a 2013 and I will ALWAYS keep an open mind becuase I know for a fact that Yamaha makes some nice machines and I'll never say otherwise. But your competition has officially passed you by, there are an AWFUL lot of former TY4stroke members (happy ones) now chit-chatting with me over on DooTalk every day, and now I see your entire 2012 lineup is essentially obsolete already with zero miles.

Yamaha, they ALL really need to be replaced/substantially updated...very very soon. You are officially losing customers who are very willing to pay for your products. I am one of them.

End rant. Back to Dootalk I guess...sad because I really preferred TY4stroke to Dootalk because there are a larger number of helpful/knowledgeable people here. But I certainly don't buy a sled just for the quality of some internet forum...so later, guys.

I don't think the Nytro is obsolete because it doesn't have a true competitor. It is in need of an update, particularly with the front end geometry to make it more stable at high speed. The rest of the lineup does nothing for me. The Phazer is a neat concept but it is too heavy for a 500 and the stupid 14" wide track takes too much away from its ability to float. The original Phazer was a great sled for deep snow, the new one doesn't compare in that area.

Well, Polaris has released their lineup, and the only 4 stroke is the extremely dated IQ Turbo. So, no competition there.

I rode an XP chassis and was entirely not impressed.

Lots of Arctic cat hype, it will be interesting to see what they have going on there.

I can't get over all these guys and their obsession with the Doo 1200!!!!! My parents just bought 2 GSX SE 1200s this year. Yes they are nice easy sleds to drive but they are not god's gift to sledding. I find them boring to drive, no better in deep snow than my Nytro, and the riding position is not as comfortable either. People are jumping on the 1200 bandwagon like crazy and I don't get it! Maybe it's just because I'm young and my priorities in a sled are different? :dunno:

ruffrider said:
I can't get over all these guys and their obsession with the Doo 1200!!!!! My parents just bought 2 GSX SE 1200s this year. Yes they are nice easy sleds to drive but they are not god's gift to sledding. I find them boring to drive, no better in deep snow than my Nytro, and the riding position is not as comfortable either. People are jumping on the 1200 bandwagon like crazy and I don't get it! Maybe it's just because I'm young and my priorities in a sled are different? :dunno:

A gsx is not comparable to the nytro. Gsx is old mans sled set-up, nytro is rough trail. Its like comparing the nytro to the venture gt. A tnt or mxzx is much more comparable.
Also the nytro is much more race like in the ay it needs to be ridden, which most people dont like.

I'd like to try a 1200 Doo but it never struck me as being as capable through rough terrain as a Nytro. Plus it doesn't fit into the 600 class to be raced so it might as well not even exist as it doesn't suit my needs.

Still, Yamaha's line-up leaves a lot to be desired. I'd have been excited had they bothered to upgrade and refine their sleds.

Attachments

• P1020806.JPG
    P1020806.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 80
  • P1020807.JPG
    P1020807.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 82
craze1cars said:
Grimm said:
You know how to let Yamaha know that you are let down by the 2012s? By not buying one.

Yup. Did that a couple years ago and switched to Polaris. Had a nice, but underwhelming experience with my 2008 Polaris 700 Switchback Dragon. Handled well for me, but then it popped a cylinder at 4000 miles and I remembered the benefit of 4 stroke. So I went shopping again last season...and I did it AGAIN by switching to Ski-Doo.

Before plunking down another $9K to $10K I certainly checked out Yamaha as I'm always open-minded. What I saw in the 2010/2011 lineup was pretty much same as my 07 Attak I prematurely totalled and sold, and because it was too heavy for my style of boondocking I didn't really want another one 3 years later.

So instead I bought a new leftover 2010 Renegade 1200 to see how well the 2 stroke kings handle the 4 stroke thing. What a pleasant surprise I found. Simply put, it is a very, VERY nice sled. I have no regrets and Yamaha has some SERIOUS 4 stroke competition with Doo's intro of this machine. No machine is perfect, but so far this is the best I have ever owned. Powertrain equal to my Attak in smoothness and power, but in a fanstastic handling, lightweight chassis...drastically improved over the 07 Attak. Shockingly I found it boondocks almost as well as it trail rides...my Attak could NEVER boondock like this thing does, and the Gade handles high speed trails a bit better than the Attak did as well, and that's where I felt my old Attak truly excelled. And a bit less expensive when new to boot...and holding resale value BEAUTIFULLY...much like a Yamaha. But I'm not here to start any brand-bashing...I own them all and ride them all, and I really enjoyed my Yamaha ownership experience. All brands have merit and I always shop ALL brands when I'm in the market for a new machine.

I'm not really in the market this year but I'm always shopping since I flip every 2 to 4 years. And it recently popped into my mind that Yamaha was probably overdue for something big and new, so today I checked out their site with future purchase in mind and checked out the 2012's. I see the same dang thing AGAIN. They are now going to enter their SEVENTH year of the Apex chassis? I mean...REALLY? And that doesn't even include the RX-1 years which weren't too far different? That would make TEN years??? A full decade in one basic chassis. And charge $10K+ to $15K for 10 year old chassis technology. All I can say is WOW...talk about resting on your laurels!

I mean, Yamaha sleds are reliable and all...and nobody smart will ever criticize their fantastic motors, but now their chassis are fully and officially out-of-date...all of them...BIG time!! And I consider my Doo to be just as reliable, if not a bit more reliable, than my Attak was. So you've been caught in the one big category you really had going for you.

Because of this, Yamaha lost my business in 2008 and 2010...I purchased 2 new sleds from competitors instead. Yami, if you're listening here, it's PAST time to step up. I may be shopping for a 2013 and I will ALWAYS keep an open mind becuase I know for a fact that Yamaha makes some nice machines and I'll never say otherwise. But your competition has officially passed you by, there are an AWFUL lot of former TY4stroke members (happy ones) now chit-chatting with me over on DooTalk every day, and now I see your entire 2012 lineup is essentially obsolete already with zero miles.

Yamaha, they ALL really need to be replaced/substantially updated...very very soon. You are officially losing customers who are very willing to pay for your products. I am one of them.

End rant. Back to Dootalk I guess...sad because I really preferred TY4stroke to Dootalk because there are a larger number of helpful/knowledgeable people here. But I certainly don't buy a sled just for the quality of some internet forum...so later, guys.

VERY WELL SAID!

ruffrider said:

As stated by someone else that's because you tried a GSX set up for your mom & dad. As a more athletic stand-up boondocker type of rider myself I agree with what you say...about the GSX. But try an X package 1200, TNT, or even an Adrenaline, drastic difference. It might make you raise your eyebrows a bit when compared to your Nytro...and then again it might not. We are all different and have different likes & desires. And to be fair my Adrenaline also took some mods to make me entirely happy...but not a whole lot. But ALL sleds I own take some mods to make me happy, so that's not brand-exclusive.

I'm not here trolling for converts...I couldn't care less what brand anyone owns as long as it makes THAT person happy. I just stopped by to express my opinion to Yamaha that I feel they're really starting to fall behind, I am not alone, and they are undoubtedly losing sales as a result.

This sport NEEDS competition. And I want Yamaha to succeed for that reason, whether I buy another one or not. Strong competition breeds better sleds for ALL brands.

craze1cars said:
ruffrider said:
This sport NEEDS competition. And I want Yamaha to succeed for that reason, whether I buy another one or not. Strong competition breeds better sleds for ALL brands.

True.

Yammi is lucky that Poo has not released a 'Doo 1200' type sled or their market share would be alot worse.
People rave about the 1200 because it is considered the best of both worlds...light and 4s dependabilty...without all the quirky handling and rear skid issues.
C'mon Yammi...get some wood on the ball.
The statement about competition is so true. If it had not been for yammi going the 4s route...there would be no such sled as the 1200.

COMPETITION IS GOOD!!

I agree with ruffrider, I thought the same thing. What is with all of this love for the 1200. And to compare it to an attack? common, huge difference. take one ride on an apex or attack and then try out a 1200. then tell me the difference. Just as said earlier in the previous posts, boring. Most people would want to jump back on to the Yamaha without question. Sure the 1200 rides nice and is a nice easy machine to ride if your just touring around, and not using any power, but even from the handling perspective, a properly set up apex can take the corners just as well.

Back