• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 vk pro major rattle/vibration

what is causing the noise and vibration?

• clutch issues?

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • bearing issues?

• other?

• Total voters
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2016 VK Pro II
I have a brand new 2016 VK Pro with only 66 km on it. Was driving around 40 km when it started to make an awful noise from Drive train. Sounded like studded track was hitting tunnel. Thought maybe ice had built up so I put it in heated shop over night. Checked the track tension and its good. Checked chain case tension and that is good. Changed the belt but the noise and vibration persists. Noise happens in Drive gear, low gear and reverse. Also occurs with rear of machine suspended off of the ground. Noise does not occur at idle only when clutches engage and track gets turning. Dealer is closed until Wednesday any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks.

sounds like a bad bearing in the drive train or one of the wheels.

sounds like a bad bearing in the drive train or one of the wheels.
Thank you. I noticed some free play on Secondary clutch on horizontal movement about 1/4 t 3/8 of Inch that my buddies 2010 VK does not have. Patiently waiting until RL in verner opens Jan 04. This sucks! Thanks again will keep you posted.

check your track tension, if it's too tight with those extrovert drivers it will cause a vibration, for some reason some dealers can get the track tension right! A buddy of mine just bought a 2017 vk 540 and complained he had vibration and like the sled was always was laboring all the time, we checked the track tension and it was way too tight! We slackened the tension and all was good. cheers!

How is the 2017 vk540? I checked one out and man is that a simple machine. I've told all my trapping friends to check it out before buying another brp skandic. I

Definitely a big improvement in comfort , ride and deep snow abiltiy, the fuel economy is still uncertain as of right now!

Wind protection looks superior as well. Please report on fuel economy when you have some miles under your belt.

check your track tension, if it's too tight with those extrovert drivers it will cause a vibration, for some reason some dealers can get the track tension right! A buddy of mine just bought a 2017 vk 540 and complained he had vibration and like the sled was always was laboring all the time, we checked the track tension and it was way too tight! We slackened the tension and all was good. cheers!
Thanks

Turns out when they studded the track they put in a tunnel/heat exchange protector and for some reason a welder let go and it then hitting the track. They put in a flat bar protector instead and that noise I gone. The issue now is it is very very loud. To the point my wife will not ride on it. Not sure why it is so loud now. Wishing I had bought the 900 Skandic. Not impressed at all!

Is the sled still under warranty? Even if is not, sound like the dealer messed up! Return the sled to the dealer so he can fix his mistakes, Don't let his mistakes reflect on the sled, the vk pro is a well built sled, had one for 20,000 kms never let me down or left me stranded which is something brp sleds can't do! Hope it works out and you get to enjoy the pro! cheers!

Totally agree, we've had a bunch of Skandic sleds from the new generation go down up here for various reasons. The VK Pro is built better hands down, does it ride as nice as a Skandic for 2-up? no. But I have yet to see a yamaha 4-stroke have engine problems. Get your issues sorted and enjoy.

Wind protection looks superior as well. Please report on fuel economy when you have some miles under your belt.
Have 1400km on my new vk 540... ran her out of gas at 270 km , about twice as far as the older 540.. liking her so far, love the new upgrades

Good luck with Yamaha.
I bought a brand new Venture. Has the same resonating noise between 45-65 kph. Yamaha Canada told my dealer that they were aware of the problem but they had no remedy. Told me to "drive over or under those speeds".
There should be a warning or a disclaimer before you buy these sleds. I sold mine with 120 miles on it and took a good loss.

Back