• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2017 BTX SE - Camso Conquer 280 Track

2fast4u_2

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2017 BTX SE
Greetings.

This is my first post on a winter sport forum and my first sled in nearly 40 years - god I am old. I have been a jet ski modder for decades:

See: http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=262143&highlight=rxpxseadog

Anyway, I just bought a new 2017 BTX SE and ride in the mountains of UT, WY and MT and trails (primarily Yellowstone).

After buying this sled, I found the 1.75 track is simply too challenged by Guardsman Pass in UT (see photo)
btx stuck.jpg

While a 2.5/2.6 track would be an improvement, a 2.8 track would be a bit more helpful.

Based upon measurements it appears the 2.8 track will fit, but just barely, perhaps by .25". This is quite a slim margin given the 2.5 lug will clear by .75+".

My concern is slapping against the tunnel given the minimal clearance.

Any help or thoughts or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

BTX has 8 tooth drivers, you could swap to MTX 7 tooth drivers for more clearance. Make sure to change the gearing if your going to that taller track as well.

Thank you for the suggestion.

The 7 tooth part no. = Front Axle Sub-Assy 8KU-G7501-00-00 (2017) or 8JR-G7501-00-00 (2018)

As for stock sprockets for the 2017 BTX: 41T = Chain Driven and Chain Driven (40T) and then Sprocket, Drive (30T) (see: https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/a/yam/58a23d4687a866120cd9fd47/track-drive-2 )

Couldn't find sprocket info for the 153 track MTX (2017 or 2018).

Perhaps more importantly, has anybody installed the 2.8 lug (Camso Conquer 280) on their BTX?

Thanks again for your response.

Last edited:
In an effort to avoid gearing changes and an axle swap, I went with the Composit M67 track with 2.62 lug.

The M67 is the most lug possible and in fact still may need to be trimmed. There is about 5/16 clearance for the heat exchange protectors.

My question is, what is an adequate clearance as not to damage the heat exchanger?

I've attached a couple photos.

Thank you for any thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_2246.JPG
    IMG_2246.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 447
  • upload1.jpg
    upload1.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 531
  • upload2.jpg
    upload2.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 444
I would trim to 2.5" just to be on the safe side!

Just my $0.02

I would trim to 2.5" just to be on the safe side!

Just my $0.02

I'm contemplating honing the lugs .12 where the heat exchange rails align with the track to provide the extra clearance.

Just curious about your suspension set-up since you have a 50th anniversary BTX. I swapped the SE's stock suspension for the 50th Anniversary suspension both front and rear.

What are your settings for the springs?

Thanks.

Done!

Upgrades: new track (Composit M67 track = 2.62 lug and no trimming), Fox QS3's (front Fox 1.5 Zero QS3 and rear
Fox 2.0 Zero QS3), idler wheels, front bumper and rear luggage (medium), kill switch tether, front storage (under windshield), Pro Skid Plate and Tunnel Protectors .

With all those upgrades, I am all in on a brand new sled for $13,300. IMHO amazing value and the results make for one bad #*$&@ crossover sled!

Attachments

• Sled 1.jpg
    Sled 1.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 437
  • Sled 2.jpg
    Sled 2.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 414
  • Sled 3.jpg
    Sled 3.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 428
  • sled 4.jpg
    sled 4.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Sorry Im late to the party here but did you end up riding this sled with the new 2.6" Track on it? Did it rub the heat exchanger at all? I have a Camso 2.5" Track for my 2019 XTX 141 I want to install. Just not sure if I have do go down a size on the drivers. Its a 8 tooth currently. IM assuming you left your 8 tooth on as well?

Sorry Im late to the party here but did you end up riding this sled with the new 2.6" Track on it? Did it rub the heat exchanger at all? I have a Camso 2.5" Track for my 2019 XTX 141 I want to install. Just not sure if I have do go down a size on the drivers. Its a 8 tooth currently. IM assuming you left your 8 tooth on as well?

A 2.5" track will clear by .5+ inches. When buying this sled the Yamaha Rep (not the Yamaha dealer, the Yamaha technical Rep) stated the 2.5 inch track would fit with no issues. When I did decide the go with 2.62 inch track I was concerned about clearance with the heat exchanger. In fact when installing the track it didn't look like the track would fit, but it did.

Bottom-line, at 82mph I have experienced no rubbing. I continue to inspect the heat exchanger for rubbing and ice build-up.

I also did the suspension.

One year report.

The BTX can be used as a crossover sled.

On the trail the BTX with the QS3 shock package is solid. The shocks absorb the woops and stutter bumps with ease. The best part of this sled on the trail is squeezing the throttle and letting the 200hp come to life. Gas mileage is really good.

Off trail: my goal with this sled was to make it a true 50/50 crossover. Hence the 2.62 lug. The track really performed well both on and off trail. Big concern was braking on trail at velocity. The track was confidence inspiring on trail. In the POW the track performed beyond expectation. When I refer to POW, I am talking about meadow POW in excess of 7ft deep (Togwotee). The 2.62 track easily put the BTX on top of the POW. The track really impresses on the steep and deep - no issues. The issue is this sleds weight. No matter what, the weight of the BTX shows up at every turn - literally.

This is what destroys the fun factor in the POW. Throwing the weight around is conservatively stated as a PIA and really destroyed the fun factor when off trail riding.

In sum, great sled but the weight is not your friend. If you own a BTX and plan on off trail riding the 2.62 track is most certainty the best comprise for a 50/50 crossover sled.

This is just my humble opinion based upon real world use.

Thanks for the report! Might go the same route as you regarding the track! Waiting on a good deal for the M67...

Great report! I've got 5,200 on the original 1.6 in the X-TX thinking about taking her out to 153x2.6.

You could consider a lithium battery, header and lighter muffler to at least lose a little weight.

You could consider a lithium battery, header and lighter muffler to at least lose a little weight.

Muffler and battery may be good for 17 or 18lbs.

Reality for these four stroke turbos, just too heavy for serious off trail riding. However, as a crossover the BTX may be in a class all of it's own. Why? Because it is a powerhouse trail sled and can dip off trail and power through the steep and deep. Albeit a day in the back country at Togwotee will remind you you're not as young as you used to be!

Attachments

• IMG_3126.jpg
    IMG_3126.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_3124.jpg
    IMG_3124.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:
After spending two weeks between Jackson Hole and Togwotee and more than 11ft of snowfall for the month of January, the BTX proved it could run with true mountain sleds.

Obviously not with the same agility in the technical areas where the weight becomes too burdensome.

To the question this thread sought to address: will the Composit M67 2.62 lug work on the BTX?

Answer is most definitely yes! The M67 provided fantastic floatation when the POW was more than 5ft of fresh. In the meadows with rolling hills, trees and quite challenging chutes, the M67 never trenched.

In fact the only time the sled trenched was when I failed to take a proper line.

I never thought I would endorse a Russian manufactured product, but after more than 200 miles in the back-country at Togwotee this track most definitely proved it is a capable track that most definitely works on the BTX.

Excellent track and tremendous value when compared to the only other game in town for the BTX, the Camso Challenger Extreme. Without modifications, the Camso 2.8 lug will be too tall for the BTX tunnel.

Attachments

• IMG_3137.jpg
    IMG_3137.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:

Back