• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A Arm Protection

PASRX700

I'm familar with 3M's 8-mil Paint Protection film (I design and install Paint Protection Kits), I found (MPO) that our flexible 17-mil PVC film worked much better then the 3M film. Easier to apply/install, thicker for more protection and available in Clear, Blue, Yellow, Smoke and Red tints. Here's a photo of my 2002 SRX700 with the "Blue" film applied to my A arms. Any type of paint protection is better than none at all.

srx.jpg

PASRX700 said:
I'm familar with 3M's 8-mil Paint Protection film (I design and install Paint Protection Kits), I found (MPO) that our flexible 17-mil PVC film worked much better then the 3M film. Easier to apply/install, thicker for more protection and available in Clear, Blue, Yellow, Smoke and Red tints. Here's a photo of my 2002 SRX700 with the "Blue" film applied to my A arms. Any type of paint protection is better than none at all.

srx.jpg

Does that come off without leaving a residue? Looks good for sure, but I've seen some of that stuff defeat it's own purpose, cuz eventually the wear shows on the protection, and unless the protection is easily removeable, what's the point? I used to use those PVC protectors on my a arms, but they end up scratching the paint they're designed to protect.

The material/film is a flexible 17-mil thick PVC Vinyl that has one side laminated with an optically clear pressure sensitive adhesive. To remove warm the material with a hair dry and peel off, any adhesive residue can easliy be removed using an adhesive remover and a clean cloth.

The material is very durable, I've used it to protect the lower A Arms on my ATV (Raptor) and for Headlight & Fog Light Protection on Automobiles, Motorcycles and ATV's.

I haven't personally seen the new 2006 Yamaha selds, so I'm not familar with the gas tank design, if someone wants to post a photo of the tank showing the area's your concerned about (Scratches/Wear N Tear etc) I might be able to suggest the best method to protect.

fuel tank shroud protection

For the fuel tank shroud, one could use the film on both sides-where your knees would contact it, and if you removed that warning label right above the seat, you may want something there as well.

I was thinking of some clear film in these areas, but not sure if over time that dirt would enter in along the edges, or possible spilled fuel and cause it to look like heck.

Maybe a colored film, or even a carbon fiber-pattern?

i dont know why everyone wants to cover up all their stuff anyways, why not run it the way it is and if it happens to get all scratched up, then add that pvc protectant to cover up the scratches, its a colored film right..i bet that stuff will scratch the paint job anyhow by time you stick it on there and peel it off, just like the warning stickers we peel off, its hard to get those off without putting some little scratches in the paint..plus it will give you a reason to do a custom paint job next yr..

Visited my local Yamaha Dealer today, No Apex or Attak, but they had a Rage, Nytro and Vector. For the machines with painted gas tanks
(shrouds) the 8-mil Automobile Paint Protecion Film would work fine.

Assuming the Apex & Attak A Arms are the same as the other models I'd still recommend the 17-mil PVC Film for the A Arms. The two lower A Arms would require triming to get the proper fit due to the braces and the welds, while the upper A Arms would be very easy with no triming required.

If there's any interest in the two products (precut kits for the A Arms & Gas Tank), I just need someone with specific model(s) willing to spended a few hours at my shop while I design the kits. I'm located in Saegertown PA 16433 (NW PA , 1 1/2 hrs North of Pittsburgh or 1/2 hr South of Erie).

Attachments

• adirondacavatar.jpg
    adirondacavatar.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 82
PASRX700,
Is the smoke color dark enough to cover up the burgandy on the RTX A-Arms? not right off, but in the future I may want the A-Arms black & seems like your "film" might be what I need. How much approximately for enough to cover all A-Arms.
BA Apex

Back