• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A little maintenance...while waiting..

mp5

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
09 Nytro XTX
Finished jackshaft and driveshaft bearings. Disassembled entire skid to clean and regrease, and replaced all 11 wheel bearings. Polished tunnel. Relocated brake/tail light. Covered holes w aluminum. Sent 4 shocks out for revalve/rebuild for my 265 lbs.

Meanwhile...waiting for new STAR linkage, Hygear spring savers and a Hurricane Upgrade Kit. Thinking of the JRE spindles aswell.

Oil/filter and chaincase maint next and should be good to go....but for now, "Waiting for cookies..."

Attachments

• 20171203_105917.jpg
    20171203_105917.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 20171203_105650.jpg
    20171203_105650.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 20171203_105553.jpg
    20171203_105553.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 126
  • 20171203_105447.jpg
    20171203_105447.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 123
  • 20171203_105348.jpg
    20171203_105348.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 20171203_105301.jpg
    20171203_105301.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 125

Nice nice pics.
Star suspension helps a lot with fixing the sag and ride quality.

If your getting the Hurricane upgrade kit can you up load pics of the kit?

I’m thinking about adding it next. Just on the fence right now. A lot of money for what it is
Are you getting the db reducer. With the kit? Or going to run without it?

Will post when I get it. I bought it used with 1200 kms on it. Asked about the resducer....but I cannot remember what PO said...lol. Gettin old I guess. He did say it was louder than stock...but not overly. Said his riding buddies weren't afraid to follow him

Guys at Hurricane agreed and said very nice sound for trails.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-12-03-12-42-12.png
    Screenshot_2017-12-03-12-42-12.png
    374.3 KB · Views: 108
MP5 is that the kit you bought?

That was listed on kijiji Ontario and doesn’t have the dB reduced, he also said it wasn’t needed for out Ontario trails..

That's the one. He have me a decent deal and shipped next day. Talked at length w him and Hurricane Performance about it. Looking forward to getting it. I already have the SB Stage ll clutch kit, so I hope I don't lose the smooth engagement. Will play w it if needed. If the pipe is too loud for me, I'll buy the reducer.

Cool, I was dealing with him before he listed it on kijiji but he was a lot higher in price so I just decided to get a kit from Dave at hurricane..

I also have the SB stage 2 kit but I will be using hurricane helix and arms but keep the SB primary spring and rollers to keep the rpm engagement down to around the 2900 rpm range, Dave said it should be okay since it will only affect the engagement rpm but if further tuning need to be Dave is second to none on customer service and will help till it’s right..

I only see one spring in that Kijiji pic. But Dave's orig clutch kit comes with two (prim and sec). I'll have to get a hold of PO and ask him why there is only one. I just assumed it was primary spring. Regardless, it's good to know that you have a similar set up, and that we can keep the smooth take off

When I was inquiring about the hurricane kit Dave told me that the kit does not come with the primary or secondary springs, he used to offer them in his kit but with dyno testing he found that the original springs have the same outcome so he took them out of the kit and lowered the price according so I wouldn’t worry to much about the springs not being in the kit, keep your SB primary and your stock Yamaha secondary spring which should be pink pink.

The only thing that Dave wasn’t sure about was the affect that the smaller rollers would have.

Obviously with SB primary spring and rollers lowers the rpm engagement to 2900 rpm,

Would you know if you just install the SB primary spring and leave the stock roller how much the rpm engagement would lower compared to stock ? Would it be between what we have now and the stock rpm engagement?

Last edited:
I have the kit installed ready to go! Will let you guys know when i try it out! Haha i have secondary stock and heavier weights in the primary with soft start spring. The package i bought used was all ready mapped for my exact setup from hurricane. Cant wait to try her out. Also added handlebar relocate, custom 2" taller seat. Should be a different sled this year. Braaaap

Would you know if you just install the SB primary spring and leave the stock roller how much the rpm engagement would lower compared to stock ? Would it be between what we have now and the stock rpm engagement?

So I talked with Dave today. He said I may have to go back to oem rollers, as he's not certain what the SB rollers will act like with his kit. So ,I'm going to have an oem set on had and try dialing his set up in with my SB rollers that are on primary now. If I have to change, then so be it. He said the biggest concern is making sure I don't rev higher than 8900 at top end.

May be a case of "giving something up, to gain something else." I don't want to lose that silky smooth lower end feel, but have to remember that I bought this kit for more power all over. May have to sacrifice the lower engagement...we'll see.

Dave also mentioned drilling out a bracket where the stock headers sit, in order for proper fitment of the Hindle headers.

Mp5 I think we will be fine with the SB spring and rollers a few on here have told me that it will run good with that set up but I also have the original rollers if I need to go back to them.

I had to drill out and remove the original bracket which the muffler used to bolt to but not the headers, I checked and there was lots of clearance between the hindle headers and the original headers mounting bracket but I’ll double check that.

Dave said it will fit....but could very likely rub or touch pipes when sled is moving/bouncing..causing possible exhaust pipe damage.

Back