• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

aftermarket rims

kallio

i am thinking of going to new rims for my kodiak 450 and going up a tire size to 26's. but my question is how will the alum rims hold up like the stock steel ones? do they handle rocks/logs ok? I have some good dents and dings in the steel rims and im scared if i go to a new rim (alum) ill bend it out of shape or break it?

thanks for the input,
jake

i pretty much have scuffed all 4 of the rims on mine and they are holding up good so far (4 years). did a hit on one and bent the bars on my chest with only light scratching on the rim. i always run 3 lb over what the manufacturer reccomends for pressure as i find it cushions the bumps better and stops me from hitting on the rims as much.

what are you considering for rubber? i am hearing good things about the new interco tire.

I have 26 Swamplites on ss rims on my 06 Kodiak and they are bullitproof for sure , the have a little offset that helps with stability .you will want over fenders as you will eat some extra mud with a little wider stance
MM

not entirely sure for rubber - ive looked at mud lites and the big horn 2.0's.

i am just nervous that the arteas i ride with the rocks and stuff in the mud holes that ill break a rim.

my rims have been through it all , bounced off rocks big time , I was nervous when I got them but , if I get a new 550 the steels rims will be on it for about 5 minutes , after 5 years they still even hold there shine
MM

if i go up in tire size will this cause me to lose top and bottom end?

its an 09 450 kodiak and the last ting i want to do is give up the top end i have right now on my old mans 450 foreman...

kallio said:
if i go up in tire size will this cause me to lose top and bottom end?

its an 09 450 kodiak and the last ting i want to do is give up the top end i have right now on my old mans 450 foreman...

Depends what brand of tire... if the tires are light it wont make much difference but if they are heavy wheels and tires it will take away some of the bottom fun feel and change the top speed a bit.

Back