• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

All Black Seat

BigJeffMN

Veteran
I have an 07 Attak that I am working on blacking out and the seat is killing me with the grey strip. I looked for but couldn’t find some post I saw 2 years ago about painting/dying the strip or recovering. Has anyone replaced the skin or had an upholstery shop sew in a black piece?

Looking for pointers, thanks

Mine has held up great over the years. I used SEM vinyl dye in a spraycan. Got it at the local auto body supply store.

Attachments

• RS Picture 089.jpg
    RS Picture 089.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 184
  • Picture 096 resize.jpg
    Picture 096 resize.jpg
    441.8 KB · Views: 221
I did mine two years ago on my Apex. I was going to take it to a local guy to have the stripe changed to black. He suggested trying to dye it first since the seat was in great shape and if it doesn't hold up then bring it back and then he would do it. The stuff I used was like $7 from NAPA. I did mine in the late summer when it could sit in the sun and bake since the directions said that you should do it at temperatures above 60 degrees. I was nervous at first, just cleaned with alcohol, taped it off and applied two light coats over two days. Would do it again in a heart beat.

I had mine done at an upholstery shop. Came out great used a material that is good for 30 below (not supposed to crack). I think it was around 40 bucks

I had mine done at an upholstery shop. Came out great used a material that is good for 30 below (not supposed to crack). I think it was around 40 bucks

Spray it. I bought satin black vinyl dye from Advance Auto and sprayed the gray after masking it off. Probably put 8000 miles on it after that mod and had 2 tiny little spots about 1/8" in diameter on the seam where my leg rubbed that you could even see the grey poking through. I was amazed how it held up. A 30 second touch up before I sold it and it looked like factory again. I had an '06 GT with everything blacked out and it looked way better than the stupid gray stripe.

Yamadogger said:
Spray it. I bought satin black vinyl dye from Advance Auto and sprayed the gray after masking it off. Probably put 8000 miles on it after that mod and had 2 tiny little spots about 1/8" in diameter on the seam where my leg rubbed that you could even see the grey poking through. I was amazed how it held up. A 30 second touch up before I sold it and it looked like factory again. I had an '06 GT with everything blacked out and it looked way better than the stupid gray stripe.
So satin black is the way to go, pretty good match? I checked flea-bay & they had black, satin black & gloss black. It was a "SEM" product I found. I went all black with my sled, got rid of all the decals & noticed now that the grey stripe stands out like a sore thumb!!! The gray has to go,lol!!
Oh ya, the sled in the pic is gone, I am talking about the new to me 06 Attak project I am working on.

BigJeffMN said:
settled I will be dying it.

Any tips for removing the seat?

What all does it take?

Remove the black tailpipe covers then the two screws above the tail light, then the two screws on the front of the exhaust covers. Theres two more holding the covers on the back of the covers. The last two things are J -hooks that hold the seat in place.

Seat

I had mine done at an upholstery shop for about 40.00 also..with cold weather vinyl.
T2-Copy.jpg

ranger1 said:
So satin black is the way to go, pretty good match?

Oops, that will teach me to go from memory rather than check for sure. After you asked I went out in the garage and checked and it was flat black, not satin - sorry for the misinformation :o| . I used Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric and I got it from Advance Auto. As I was looking at the can this morning, I was surprised how much paint/dye was left in the can so it certainly doesn't take much product. I probably have enough left to paint 10 more seats. This was what mine looked like with the blacked out seat.

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    714.8 KB · Views: 351
Yamadogger said:
ranger1 said:
So satin black is the way to go, pretty good match?

Oops, that will teach me to go from memory rather than check for sure. After you asked I went out in the garage and checked and it was flat black, not satin - sorry for the misinformation :o| . I used Dupli-Color Vinyl & Fabric and I got it from Advance Auto. As I was looking at the can this morning, I was surprised how much paint/dye was left in the can so it certainly doesn't take much product. I probably have enough left to paint 10 more seats. This was what mine looked like with the blacked out seat.

Picked up a can of satin black today, did you remove the seat when you painted it ? Has anyone tried a different color than black, would like to see those.

Back