• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

An Unscientific Survey to Record Bent Sub-Frames

Bent Sub-Frames and Other Bits

• '08, Replaced by dealer / Yamaha

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • '08, Replaced by your children's college fund

• '09, Replaced by dealer / Yamaha

• '09, Replaced by your children's college fund

• Total voters
I finished the replacement of my sub-frame, spindle, and right upper a-arm tonight. The sub-frame I took out was jacked pretty good. Apart from the cost and time it's not too difficult to replace these things and I'm sure I can do it faster the next time, but I hope there won't be a next time.

If this were my design I'd look for ways to add torsional stiffness, increase the capacity of the all the members loaded by the front suspension, eliminate all the holes in the main frame sections, and add more or larger screws to the bulkhead connection.

It’s going to take some miles before I'm confident in this sled again. I know this problem isn't unique and any sled can be wrecked, it's just difficult to reconcile with how seemingly easy this sub-frame gave into a side load.

Well I took mine into the dealer 2 weeks ago they said both a arms were bent and that because of the holidays itd be done buy the 1/9/09 well i riceved a call on the evening of the 8th that when they were putting the sled back together they realized that the subframe was bent so One more week for me and not covered by yamaha

Well, I had my front end replaced last week. New clip goes on, & shocks aren't anywhere near centered, actually the shock springs were touching the upper a-arms.

So, I guess all this time I'd been riding my nytro with a pooched clip & twisted azz upper a-arms. No wonder I got it dialed in & had it riding like a dream, it wasn't near yamaha's specs!!!!!

Dealer let me take the front clip, a-arms, shocks, spindles & skis home to "straighten er out"

I did a little Macgyvering - and voila - shocks are now centered almost perfectly.

No pounding, no bending, no cussing, PM me if you care to know how. Not gonna post that info here.

Assembled everything & dropped it back off to the dealer the next morning.

Pretty happy dealer fixed mine at no cost. Hope the updated clip holds up better than the 08.

Of course, handling suffered in the little mileage I've managed to put on. Toe out was set to 1/2" when I picked up sled & I didn't readjust. sled darted like a mofo, even with the curve skis. Hopefully it's just the toe adjustment.

Either that or I need to start running the sled into some solid objects to get the front end back to where it needs to be!!

lol - kidding

09 bent...haven't decided what im gonna do....I think Yamaha needs to recall this because i think it is only a matter of time until everyones bend.

Then guess what, the resale on our sleds go to crap because "ohh those are the sleds that
Yamaha had for a few years that are notorious for bending the subframes". Thats unnacceptable as far as i am concerned. We spend 9-10k on a new sled and they can't fix a $500 part?? Its like the situation with the SRX's and the crank recall....MAN UP YAMAHA!!!!!

Mine bent from i Guess from aggressive riding. I dropped my off at the shop to look at some rough idle problem and asked them to look at my spindle and A Arm it looked funny. They told me its bent. I am going to ride it until it breaks Then Zbros next.

Bent -08 replaced on warranty last spring.
Bent the new -09 on my first ride this year.
Out of warranty now, so i put a prybar between upper and lower a-arms and bent it back.

Bent Subframe Poll

'08 bent, replaced under warranty. Reinforced ALL mounting points on replacement. Knock on wood it is still good to go.

Back