• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anybody here ever used a Powder Jack to get unstuck?

Vincenthdfan

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex MTX
http://www.powderjack.com/

Anyone ever used a Powder Jack to get unstuck before?? I had to turn my Apex Mountain around in a DEEP tight trail yesterday and got heavily stuck.

After lots of digging and tugging, my girlfriend and I finally got my sled unstuck....yes, she's still my girlfriend even after all that, shes a trooper...lol. :Rockon:

At any rate, I couldnt help but think about one of those Powder Jacks and how much easier it may have made it to get out of that deep stuck.

Anyone ever tried one? Experiences?

Hopefully I posted this in the right category to get widest visibility?

Thanks,
Vince

sgilbert said:
with everyones machines in moth balls, dont think your cheering anyone up

Well if it makes you (and everyone else) feel any better, this is the first real snow we've had all season...this winter was really warm for us (El Nino ocean currents).

I just want to be prepared for next season..trying to be an optimist, lol.

Next years gotta be better than this ones been up to this point!

I've only seen one mounted on a sled in a picture and it hung out past the rear flap. I don't know if that was correct or not?

I don't think they are a bad idea because when my Vector or Nytro is packed with snow or ice, I can't physically lift it out of a hole. In fact, I don't even try anymore. I just ride with a shovel in my backpack and never leave home without it.

I haven't used one myself, but I watched one get used. It seemed to work real slick. The guy lifted the sled and then packed snow back under it with his shovel and boots.

If you don't mind the bulk, it is probably very helpful.

Personally I carry a backpack with a shovel and Sno-Bungie in it. the Sno-Bungie is worth it's weight in gold. Add a 20' strap and it is even better.

The key to getting unstuck for me is to pack a launch path down and plan an exit route before starting to dig. Then take it slow. It is a lot easier on the mind and body if you don't feel like you need to hurry and get it out like it is going to sink below the snow or something.

search using "high", "lift", and "jack" and there is some info.

I am not sure that I am too happy about powder jack copying the original though - seems kinda sleazy

I have used the powder jack 3 or 4 times, and it has broken every single time.

It will not be on my sled next year. The sno-bungie works great.

Also, I figured out the best way to get the apex unstuck in almost any situation.

Dig out the skis, then hop on the sled, and pin the throttle while leaning hard to one side, preferably the uphill side. The track will eat itself out of the trench hole as long as the skis aren't hung up on anything. When you trench and can't tip the sled it is because the skis have snow on top of them, not because the track is stuck.

The sled will tip over and land on the side cover. Once it's on the side cover you can rotate it around by pulling on the lower ski or on the bumper, you don't even need to roll the sled since the side cover makes a good pivot point, once it is pointed downhill tip it up again and ride out.

Take a bit of work, but you don't need to lift anything.

I think in your situation with being just you and the gf it might work pretty well. Might save you some grief and a hurt back.

I have the "original" Hi-Jacker, not the knock-off Powder Jack. It works very well and I have yet to damage it. I have used it on my Apex and Vector in situations that would have taken me almost an hour of digging, but only took about 10 minutes to get the sleds out with the jack. Well worth the $$$ in my book! ;)!

Mtn-Track said:
I have the "original" Hi-Jacker, not the knock-off Powder Jack. It works very well and I have yet to damage it. I have used it on my Apex and Vector in situations that would have taken me almost an hour of digging, but only took about 10 minutes to get the sleds out with the jack. Well worth the $$$ in my book! ;)!

Suhweet! Thats exactly what I was looking for...time and back savings (not to mention relationship saving too), lol.

The heads up on which brand to purchase is great to hear too...Id be really pissed to use it one time and have it break! :die

Might I ask how you mounted it on your Apex? I was thinking maybe recessing part of the rod through the footwell (under the secondary clutch) would keep a lot of the pole from sticking out by the rear flap?

I bought the Hi Jacker made in Colorado. It seems much better made that this one. Them mount system is much better as well for the Hi Jacker. It works well and I keep it on the sled at all times.

Vincenthdfan said:
Might I ask how you mounted it on your Apex? I was thinking maybe recessing part of the rod through the footwell (under the secondary clutch) would keep a lot of the pole from sticking out by the rear flap?

I put a clamp in the right footrest next to the tunnel for the end of the rod. I also turned the jack so the handle is aimed down, just above the rear part of the running board. The rod runs just over the top of my right rear cooler hose and doesn't stick out past the snow flap.
;)!

I have a Mountain Mod seat that should be here in the next couple of days so I'll be digging the sled out of the trailer. I'll take some pics and post them since I didn't use any of the mounting brackets that came with the jack to mount the rod.

I use a guy named Mike to get my sled unstuck. He's done pretty well so far but I do have to feed him.

arteeex said:
I use a guy named Mike to get my sled unstuck. He's done pretty well so far but I do have to feed him.

have you compared the price of food to the jack?

almost cheaper to pay for my youngest brothers gas for sx500r than his food. :jump:

planning on buying a couple this season for myself and family. anyone try to lift a vkpro or vk540 full of slush up with one of these? that is the reason i ham holding off atm as i cannot find the max lift capacity for one. i do know it would be higher than my back.

Back