• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anybody with chaincase problems???

I changed my top gear on my Apex to a 23 from 24 and when I removed my cover I couldn't beleive how loose my chain was. It would slap against the chain case. If I had run it longer like that I'm sure it would've caused some kind of detonation in the chain case. Check your tension on your chains. It's easy and can save you a lot of cash.

Rode 100 miles today near Madison, Wi., and had no problems. Not exactly sure what the deal was, I hope it doesn't happen again.
Still have that annoying little rattle noise, but that's for another thread....
~Nate

big guy said:
Nate.
Same thing happened to me yesterday! Hard brake from approx 50 to 60 MPH. Sliding to stop. (fluff trail base not ice) Upon acceleration. I could hear what sounded like a gear grind from chaincase. I had my riding partner lift the rear end while I lightly hit the throttle still had the noise. I checked the track for ice, all appeared to be ok underneath. I checked the chain tension. It appearred to be loose? I readjusted the chain and went through some forward - reverse shifts and the noise was gone and all appeared normal.
Oil level is ok, sled now has approx 1200 miles, chaincase was serviced at 300 miles. Drove the sled back to the truck 100 miles away and no issues after that. I will now drain that chaincase oil. I want to check for metal shavings. Sure wish the Yamaha dip stick was magnetized.
Dan.
Just wanted to update. I removed my cover to inspect chain & gears. All appeared normal. Put on 200 miles yesterday with no issues.
Dan

The 07 cover completely resolved all my Chain Case issues. I ran it wide open for a few days last week in Northern Maine. Not a drop of oil was lost in 1200 miles.

Thanks to Gary's in Caribou for helping me get the updated cover.
Those guys ROCK.... :jump:

-Moose

Back