• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone have a radar detector mounted?

stgdz

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
USA
Snowmobile
19 tcat, 15 4000 RR, 13 800 RR
Have a few railroad beds that go for a few miles. Yeah it's pretty hard to keep it at the MN speed limit. Know one person that got nicked by the MN DNR a few years ago.

Thinking a uniden r3, seen some bike riders use them. Not sure if a handle bar or windshield mount is best.

Had one since 07' when the Fish Cops started busting everyone's balls, friends thought I was crazy until I saved them a ticket more than once. Pull down onto the lake and wait a few before crossing, amazing how sensitive even a Cobra is out in the wild, I use a handlebar ram mount.

A radar may help you as long as you are NOT the first person in the group. You are only detecting the signal, after it is "bouncing" off of someone else, coming or going. If there are no other sleds out in front of you, that radar is bouncing off of, then there is no signal to "detect". If you are the first, the signal you would be detecting is the radar aimed at you and it would be too late at that point. Up to you to decide if worth the effort. Just food for thought.

Not much effort required, where we ride its not like endless high speed trails, its wide roads, tight woods trails narrow with many lake crossings. Most of the time they will hide behind a tree on the shore as most of us like to test our speedometers on the lake, leaving the trail system safe for everyone else. When we get to one of the wide open spots we'll usually pull over and hang back allowing traffic behind us to go ahead, if within a few mins my detector isn't going off its clear. Take even a $40 Cobra out into the great outdoors and see how far it picks up a signal, its at least a few miles.

Attachments

• Cobra2.jpg
    Cobra2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 76
Do you guys have daytime speed limits?? In WI im pretty sure its only night time speed limits, either way ive never come across any enforcement officers shooting radar

Do you guys have daytime speed limits?? In WI im pretty sure its only night time speed limits, either way ive never come across any enforcement officers shooting radar

Yeah MN speed limit is 50 no matter what. I think there's some areas (or used to be) that may be slightly more

Not much effort required, where we ride its not like endless high speed trails, its wide roads, tight woods trails narrow with many lake crossings. Most of the time they will hide behind a tree on the shore as most of us like to test our speedometers on the lake, leaving the trail system safe for everyone else. When we get to one of the wide open spots we'll usually pull over and hang back allowing traffic behind us to go ahead, if within a few mins my detector isn't going off its clear. Take even a $40 Cobra out into the great outdoors and see how far it picks up a signal, its at least a few miles.
Very smart, let the chase rabbits run in front to set off the whistles! Ha!

Michigan has 55 mph on most trails… Some populated area’s its 35 where posted.. Lakes are all 55 mph and its sucks the state uses these rules to make money on those responsible for their very existence… Talk about biting the hand that feeds them… I don’t condone out of control reckless driving or even high speeds on the trails but the lakes are bull crap period… So if someone can use a radar detector to prevent this you got my backing 100 percent …

Michigan has 55 mph on most trails… Some populated area’s its 35 where posted.. Lakes are all 55 mph and its sucks the state uses these rules to make money on those responsible for their very existence… Talk about biting the hand that feeds them… I don’t condone out of control reckless driving or even high speeds on the trails but the lakes are bull crap period… So if someone can use a radar detector to prevent this you got my backing 100 percent …

What trails in Michigan are 55 mph?
I have not seen that.

the only time I've seen a radar being used is on the show "North Woods Law" I believe it was in New Hampshire...basically the Wardens hide in the bushes and then jump out when they have radar lock...its called being "bushwhacked"lol.
Enforcement of throttle jockeys tearing up the corners would be money well spent..I use a Valentine 1 radar detector in the car, it gives the direction the radar beam is coming from and its super sensitive. The problem with using one on a sled would be hearing it and with eyes forward, seeing the flashing signal.

WI is 55 at night. 155 during day, LOL. In 40 years of riding in WI I've only seen Fish Cops radaring one time on a lake near a very popular watering hole. Once discovered, the bar owner immediately called the County office and demanded they vacate the point they were on. He told them he pays over 30,000 a year in taxes and the radar was chasing his customers away!! The County called their guys off right away. They were gone in minutes.

WI is 55 at night. 155 during day, LOL. In 40 years of riding in WI I've only seen Fish Cops radaring one time on a lake near a very popular watering hole. Once discovered, the bar owner immediately called the County office and demanded they vacate the point they were on. He told them he pays over 30,000 a year in taxes and the radar was chasing his customers away!! The County called their guys off right away. They were gone in minutes.
That sounds a lot like Wisconsin!

Yeah MN speed limit is 50 no matter what. I think there's some areas (or used to be) that may be slightly more

Exactly why I do not book trips in MN anymore. I've raised this issue with MNUSA many times and they do not seem to want to change it. Which is why I no longer support MNUSA either with my $$$. MN is losing out on a lot of tourist money to WI and MI. I've talked to many people while on trips who also no longer come to MN.

With that, I do support our local clubs, local district, mark/brush trails, and run the groomer.

Yeah no way MN is going to get rid of the speed limit, its going to be here till the end of time.

Back